bass of the AH-D7000
Mar 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

reptillian

Head-Fier
never heard anything like it, with drum and bass its like being at a club, which i havn't been lately. i keep checking to see if there is someone coming in the room. the cans are neutral, and the bass seems like it swamps and overrides the midrange, however it dosn't. the midrange is pretty clear but slightly recessed. who would need more bass than the D7000? on some systems like a sony stereo amplifier headphone socket it's opressive. the bass is not boomy or flabby but immense. the highs are crisp without being harsh, and only sound bad on poorly mastered material.

if this is the bass on the D7000, who would want the bass of the DX-1000? total fanatical bassheads
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 13
I think denons have more impactful or powerful bass than DX-1000, D5000 gives bass to everything I listen to but DX-1000 punches you only when it concentrated in the recording, also dx-1000 never feels forces and cheap, it also feels more refined but I don`t know which I prefer though
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 13
I think I read somewhere that the d5000 bass actually had more impact and quantity than the d7000. Not sure if its true though.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Yap, from my readings I also understood that D5000 is more contrasty than D7000, therefore it has more impactful bass and sparklier highs, but the trade off in mids which are more recessed, I think whole beauty of Denons is exactly the contrasty part, it does not make sense balancing denon out
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 13
the bass on the D7000 is only there if its on the recording, however it seems the upper mids are slightly recessed. however when the bass is there, its like "did they master it with so much bass" i'm also hearing the deficiency of the sony amp I drive them through at the moment, also they havn't been burned in.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Neutral isn't a word I'd use for Denons, modded or unmodded (unmodded is SLIGHTLY laid back, modded is SLIGHTLY forward, neither is quite neutral though). However I agree with you, D5000 and D7000 both have fantastic bass, I found the D5000s markl modded that I heard recently to have the perfect bass for me, so I'm having mine shipped off soon for the mod.

Was going to go for an LA7000 but I just can't justify $500+ (depending on cable length) more for what has been described to me by many as an incremental improvement.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 13
From what I have read it seems that la7000 reduce highly the bass of the d7000. I don't think that's an advantage for someone who already likes the d7000, at least I know I wouldnt mod mine. Jmoney pads are enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read it seems that la7000 reduce highly the bass of the d7000. I don't think that's an advantage for someone who already likes the d7000, at least I know I wouldnt mod mine. Jmoney pads are enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly how I feel about la moding....

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know about the LA7000/D7000, but with the LA5000/D5000 (LA5000=LA2000, but may as well write it out so nobody who doesn't know that comes in saying "YOURE COMPARING LOW END TO MID END!") the bass was not significantly reduced at all.

The thing is, the actual bass volume wasn't reduced, it was the impact (or the perceived impact) of the cans. Before listening to the modded cans, I never noticed my cans vibrating or rattling on my head like markl described, I just thought they had fantastic impact, but as soon as I compared them to modded cans when I put them back on I could immediately feel the vibrations on my skull on bass heavy songs. This made them much more fatiguing.

The bass on the LA5000s was much tighter and just as clear as the stock ones, but it wasn't at all distracting, or fatiguing. The impact was there, it just didn't feel like I had speakers on my head.

Now if that's the quality you're looking for, then power to you, however the LA5000s still sound like speakers, they just don't feel like you're wearing speakers.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 13
I love the sound of an unmodded D7000, bass and all. I haven't tried the JMoney pads though...and they seem to get a lot of love here.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 13
Well I do own cans that have much less bass impact than the d7000 and I don't experience the fatigue that you are talking about using the d7000.
I feel that the impact is also an important part of the denon sound signature so I' ll keep my belief that it is probably not a good thing for those who already like the denon sound like me
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I think I read somewhere that the d5000 bass actually had more impact and quantity than the d7000. Not sure if its true though.

True...but the D7000s have better bass control, depth and quality. They are more `neutral`of the two. (Though they are both pretty far from neutral...in a good and fun way).

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 13
I find the bass on the D7000 to be just about on the spot. True I have not modded or added the Jpads but I have no inclination to since what I hear is what I like. I have had it for about close to a year now and I am inclined to say they suit me just fine. They are the closest I am reminded of when listening to speakers. I generally use speakers for my listening pleasures but when its too lat at night the D7000s come out. And it seems to me like a seemless transfer from the speakers to the headphones. Maybe thats a compliment for the denon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back