Bass Mod on 2013 Sony extra bass series
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dementor338

Member of the Trade (Digizoid reseller on Amazon)
How do you get behind the drivers to remove the paper for the bass mod? I tried removing the four screws under the ear cups beneath the foam but it still won't come out.
The 2013 Sony Xb series includes the mdr Xb 400, Xb 600, Xb 610, xb 800, Xb 900, Xb 920, x05 and x10. So, if you were successful in reaching behind the drivers to remove the paper blocking the holes, post the steps here.
Update: I figured how to do it and discovered removing the paper behind the drivers gives a warmer sound with boosted natural mids between 300 to 1000 hertz and reduced the upper mids around 2khz to 3khz by 3 to 5 decibels. Most importantly, this mod boosts sub bass response from 20 hertz to 80 hertz.
To reach behind the drivers to removing the white paper coving the holes on the drivers:
1. Remove earcups
2. Remove black foam
3. Remove 4 screws
4. Snap earcups back onto headphones and pull slowly so the driver holder slips out, but without the earcups popping out.
5. Put super lubricant between the outer cracks if earcups pop out without the drivers holder sliding out.
6. Remove the paper behind the drivers
7. Reassemble
Warning: doing this mod will decrease noise isolation by about 5 decibels or 15%.

May 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 11
So, I tried this mod, and it should state that it ruins the cans, without eq my cans are just too much bass, if you ever find a mid for maybe highs that'll be great, but more mids that's too much..
As I can't put the white paper back on and I do not really remember how the headphones used to be I'll just go with it..
I'll have to eq the hell out of the bass, maybe if I'll get.lucky this mod will work better with equalization, as I had problems finding the perfect equalization without the mod.

May 16, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Oh.....The white paper is filter paper to control the air flow. Without the paper, mostly likely the level of bass, mid bass (may up to 1kHz) will stay at a similar level. You can try to use some stickers to stick on some (not all) of the hole behide the driver to limit/conrtol the air flow.

May 17, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Oh.....The white paper is filter paper to control the air flow. Without the paper, mostly likely the level of bass, mid bass (may up to 1kHz) will stay at a similar level. You can try to use some stickers to stick on some (not all) of the hole behide the driver to limit/conrtol the air flow.
so
.. what paper am I suppose to remove in this tutorial? I'm confused.. and what will help in sticking only part of the paper xd, last thing if you know these things can you help me with Modding my xb600 somehow? Every way you know.. would be appreciated

May 17, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 11
so
.. what paper am I suppose to remove in this tutorial? I'm confused.. and what will help in sticking only part of the paper xd, last thing if you know these things can you help me with Modding my xb600 somehow? Every way you know.. would be appreciated

Sorry I do not know about the tutorial as I do not have those models as mentioned. I only have old models XB500/700. Other than the white color filter papers (two areas) on the driver, I cannot see any other "paper" in my hps. So, which filer paper did you remove? Better take a photo on your current condition.

May 17, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry I do not know about the tutorial as I do not have those models as mentioned. I only have old models XB500/700. Other than the white color filter papers (two areas) on the driver, I cannot see any other "paper" in my hps. So, which filer paper did you remove? Better take a photo on your current condition.
I'll take a picture soon, the paper covers a pretty big hole, nothing else
There were too more papers, but not round, seemed like it was covering some ports to the back of the cans..

May 17, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 11

Well, then I think it is similar to XB500/700. A round filter paper at the center hole of the driver. Like below?

Method 1: Put some glue (or some adhesive tape) around the outer edge of filter paper and stick it back onto the driver. Keep clear of the center area.
Method 2: This is a way to tune your headphone bass. Use a sticker or adhesive tape (no need the filter paper) to cover part of center hole area. Try to cover 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or whatever until you feel the sound is good to you.

May 17, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Why should you remove those white center and ring papers?
Without them you will get uncontrolled bloated mid bass and mids with high distortion, because the air compression is out of tune.
That little hole in the ring side is the tuned bass port.

If you want less blooming and better lower bass, put/fill some dampening material/cotton inside the cups, that will lessen too much blooming bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back