Bass-loving metalhead seeking IEMs for around $100 - please help
Jul 19, 2007 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

dima1109

100+ Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all.
I've been using Sony EX71s with moderate success, but now they finally fell apart (held on for about 18 months - I'm impressed). I will be buying a new DAP, most likely either an iriver clix2 or meizu m6, and i need some new in-ears.
I'm not a total bass freak, but it's important to me that the headphones have very good bass output.
I've been reading this section for about a week now, and narrowed my list down to these items: Creative EP630 (maybe), Senn CX300, d-Jays, and super.fi 3, and maybe Altec Lansing iM716. I am very open to new suggestions. Price range is all over the place, but my limit is around $100-120 (less is obviously better, but not crucial)
Thanks

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 33
The super.fi 5 EB is on sale - see this thread. These are basically the "OMG TEH BASS!!1!" earphones, so if bass is your first priority these should treat you well.

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 33
I'm not sure if these would be right for me. For me, bass doesn't overshadow everything else, it's just a little higher priority. I just want some headphones with decent bass output, but nothing overly thumping.
Thank you though.

What about V-moda Vibe? I saw some decent pricing on those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of metal?

Mostly prog, death, and black, some power and gothic.

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 33
I suggest you try a pair of JBL Reference 410s. I know they match an AKG model. They are good at delivering deep, powerful bass, and they are inexpensive, well within your price range. They are a tight fit and over-the-ear. Don't know if that's different than you want, but when I read your headline, I instantly thought of them.

As far as in-ear, I recently bought a pair of JVC noise-cancelling in-ear buds for plane travel. Another bass champ, although not like the JBLs in shear power.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 33
I am in the same situation as the OP. I want cheap ($100~$150) IEMs for my ZVM, I listen to death and prog metal mostly and good bass is important to me (clear and defined bass, not muddy and overdone, just the right amount.)

I've looked at the Atrio M5s, they are definitely interesting but a little expensive for me. Then I took notice of the MylarOne X3s that seem to be very popular on head-fi. These look very promising from the reviews, but I don't know how they would sound with metal and if they lack bass. I'd be tempted to get the XB version though. Any recommendations?

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 33
I own the iM716's and listen to metal, and they sound awesome when they are in Bass mode. It beefs up the low end nicely, and the lower midrange as well so the guitar really shines through. They do not have over-the-top bass, but there definately is some good slam. Since you can get them on sale for around $100, I would recommend them to you.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimboz88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the iM716's and listen to metal, and they sound awesome when they are in Bass mode. It beefs up the low end nicely, and the lower midrange as well so the guitar really shines through. They do not have over-the-top bass, but there definately is some good slam. Since you can get them on sale for around $100, I would recommend them to you.

When I had them I didn't feel like they had any bass even in Bass mode
tongue.gif

also you're going to be in trouble when the filters get dirty, the cable is really microphonic, and the volume clip gets annoying when you can't find somewhere to clip it

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 33
HK have IM716 looking IEMs. The filters may work, when they become available, I and other folk will buy them to check.

I clipped that pod out and run 68 ohm resistors in place. For IM716, the HD mode is best, and utilizing a warm amp seem OK. The problem with bass mode is that you get bigger rolloff in the high end and the sound wasn't crisp and well defined.

I haven't heard all the IEMs under $100, but I would say that is the best solution if you can find IM716 for under $100.

Bass heavy IEMs will fair poorly for up tempo death metal.

The MylarOne X3 might do OK for you as well. For me, it depends on the music. It does seem to be getting slightly better after about 100 hours though. It's not as clean sounding as the IM716, but it has better low end. It's a significantly darker sound. The mids aren't as good.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 33
iM716s dont look too attractive because of the volume controller - i'm sick and tired of EX71's plug that is constantly pulling the cord down, I'd really like some IEMs that don't have any silly extras like that.

What about d-Jays? I'm leaning more toward them right now. How are they for this type of music?

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 33
crossroads mylar XB would be my recommendation. Solid, impactful, deep bass. Yet it doesn't overwhelm everything else in the mix.

Jays d-jays offer good detail, and a smooth sound, but are not bass-monsters by any stretch. If your player has a user adjustable EQ, adding 3-4 db of boost around 50Hz turns the d-jays into Grado IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back