Bass IEM addict recommendations
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CoopDaTrvpGod

New Head-Fier
I am a bass head with a tight budget and an avid Iem collector (when I can get enough money to buy them). I can't spend over 70$ on a pair of iem's (I prefer them to over ear headphones as they are more portable and the bass is right inside your ear canal with better isolation)

I currently own the JVC HAFX1X the JVC HA-FX101VR and the MEElectronics M-Duo

Some of the iems I'm currently considering are:

DUNU DN-12 Trident Metal Full Range Noise-Isolatio​n Earphones, Earbuds with Elegant and Powerful Design
SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import)
HiSoundAudio HW2 Wooduo 2 IEMs Audiophile HiFi Grade Earphones
Sony MDRXB50AP Extra Bass Earbud Headset (Red)

Audio Technica ATHCKS77BK Portable Headphones
Audio-technica In-ear Headphones Ath-cks77x Brd  (Are these two the same? because one has an x at the end and the other doesn't)

SoundMAGIC E10 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones (Black/Red)

I listen to Trap, Hip-hop, Rap, and Edm and am always in search of songs with the deepest most sustained bass (my soundcloudprofilehttps://soundcloud.com/coop_da_trvp_god)

So far I have found that isolation is extremely important when listening to music with excessive bass, and finding the right ear tip (especially foam ones) is the key to doing this.
I have also found that there is a difference in iems when it comes to the types of bass (mid, sub, etc.) and the detail versus volume/amount of bass. Finally, I have discovered that the device through which you are plugging the iem's into makes all the difference; I'm not talking about amps, I'm talking about using my laptop versus Ipod to listen to music. When I use my laptop, the sound quality and bass quantity is simply better than when I use my Ipod (possibly because more power is provided to the iem by the laptop versus the ipod) .

Out of the iem's I own, the ones that have the best bass detail and quality are the M-duo's but they are lacking when it comes to the overpowering ear-rumbling quantity of bass provided by the jvc ha-fx101vr's. The hafx1x's I can't comment on because I just got them, but out of the box their sound didn't even close to the hafx101vr's (which I already burned in plenty) in regards to bass (i was expecting them to sound much better bass-wise because of their 10mm driver versus the hafx101vr's smaller I think 8.5mm driver) so I am currently burning them in on almost full volume with a heavy bass track for 24-50hrs as suggested on another head-fi thread.

I like the frequencies between 25-40 hz (25-20and30and35and40.flac) which I'm guessing is either sub or mid bass.

Anyways.... that's me, but as I was saying, I like collecting headphones and am always in search of a pair that will top (bass wise) the ones I currently own. I'm posting this for any recommendations from people who have owned iems that match what I'm looking for (not every single thing but most of them) and can vouch for their quality and bass reproduction. Also any one that can give me recommendations or advice on the iems I'm currently looking at.

To summarize, the main things I am looking for are:
  1. Deep, Thunderous, sustained, ear-shattering, rumbling bass (for mid and sub bass frequencies from 20 to 60 hz)
  2. A price under 70$
  3. Good sound reproduction that doesn't overwhelm the mids and high's too much and detail like the M-duo's but with deeper, louder bass
  4. Good color options; my favorite colors are red black and gold
  5. Good tips (like the ones mee-electronics provide with their headphones) for the best possible isolation (but this isn't as important as long as the isolation is good with the provided tips)
  6. And finally a comfortable fit that doesn't hurt my inner ear canal or make my ears sore after listening for 1 hour+

Thank you in advance to anyone giving recommendations, I am eager to add a new/better pair of Bassy iem's to my collection the next time i get my hands on some cash
very_evil_smiley.gif
etysmile.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 16
The most sub-bass I've ever encountered from any IEM is Hippo VB. This earphone has interchangeable bass ports which adjust the level of bass. When I first joined Head-Fi my story was  much like what you describe. the most bass possible. After trying several mainstream brands getting no-where, Hippo VB were the solution.  And you're right, a little power doesn't go astray either to bring out the rumble, so I used a FiiO E11 portable amp and engaged the bass boost to take that further.  

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 16
  Thanks man, but is there anything with similar sub bass (like the  JVC HA-FX101VR) (can be slightly less) at a lower price range?

The problem is, you came here for: 

1. Deep, Thunderous, sustained, ear-shattering, rumbling bass (for mid and sub bass frequencies from 20 to 60 hz)

I've provided that viable option, doing this cheaper isn't going to get you there. You can spend $25 on JVC FX1X and hear the bass 'try' to rumble, try to sustain sub-bass presence while the mids and highs sound like they're being muffled by a fire blanket, sub-bass farting away giving some form of enjoyment, but the truth is you'll only wish you went for Hippo VB anyway shortly after, and.. in a week will think about purchasing them again. This is why I recommend you the correct one-time solution.

Goodluck

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 16
The Pistons 2 have some pretty wicked bass with low distortion, which is pretty impressive. Another one I like is the Sony XB90 that was $90 a couple years ago when I got mine not sure what they go for nowadays, the XB60 is also supposed to be pretty good at cheaper but haven't heard that one

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 16
The Pistons 2 have some pretty wicked bass with low distortion, which is pretty impressive. Another one I like is the Sony XB90 that was $90 a couple years ago when I got mine not sure what they go for nowadays, the XB60 is also supposed to be pretty good at cheaper but haven't heard that one

The Pistons are definitely a nice alternative option. 

Let's provide the thread for the member: http://www.head-fi.org/t/735775/the-xiaomi-pistons-thread-2-0

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 16
  The most sub-bass I've ever encountered from any IEM is Hippo VB. This earphone has interchangeable bass ports which adjust the level of bass. When I first joined Head-Fi my story was  much like what you describe. the most bass possible. After trying several mainstream brands getting no-where, Hippo VB were the solution.  And you're right, a little power doesn't go astray either to bring out the rumble, so I used a FiiO E11 portable amp and engaged the bass boost to take that further.  

I have a pair of HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 coming next week I was wondering if you know how these would compare to the Hippo VB? OP here is a link to the forum on them http://www.head-fi.org/products/hisoundaudio-wooduo-2 .  I have the same interest as you and have been looking for a while.  I was also thinking about the dunu dn-1000 as a hybrid with good bass and energy.  I am looking for hi energy treble and bass. Im not sure if the dn-1000 will give me that high energy treble as some have said it is somewhat subdued in the highs. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 16
I listen to mostly EDM and bassier genres as well.  I was wondering of the 3 iems you mentioned, which do you use or enjoy the most.  I prefer solid bass with sparkly highs and detail.  I also do think comfort is important.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 16
  I listen to mostly EDM and bassier genres as well.  I was wondering of the 3 iems you mentioned, which do you use or enjoy the most.  I prefer solid bass with sparkly highs and detail.  I also do think comfort is important.

If you have the money to purchase DN-1000 its the best option out of all mentioned, not only because of the bass but the entire presentation / signature. At $200, the Dunu's high price to performance ratio expresses this and the highs are much cleaner. Its really a no brainier when you bring DN-1000 into the equation here, you will live in happiness due to the hybrid design and the others should be completely disregarded. Believe me, I have owned all three.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks so much! Brand new to posting hear and it's so cool that experienced vets like you take the time to help newbs like me. I really appreciate it. 
By the way I currently own the Sennheiser in ear momentums and really like the sound, not sure if you have heard them but they are considered bassy with a very V shaped sound signature which I enjoy. I was wondering if you would know if the dn1000 would be similar but more advanced and refined sounding.  I really do enjoy a crisp bright sound with hefty bass.  I've also been following the new Altone200 forum and some have said that it easily beats the dn1000.  But from what I've read I don't believe it has as much bass impact as the dn1000.  Not really good at reading the graphs either and not even sure if that always tells the answer but would you have any input on that?

The dn1000 are well within my price range and if you have anything better to recommend that would be great.  I might even splurge on the Sennheiser I8 or 80 as I've heard they are clear upgrades to my momentums as well. I was a little hesitant about the dn1000's because of some reviews that although the treble is clear it is a bit subdued in favor of a more forward mid range.
I am also a bit hesitant do to some reviews that dn1000 can be uncomfortable due to the large nozzle.  I have normal to larger ear canals I'd say.

I listen to mostly female vocals in pop/studio hi def recordings but mostly edm with driving bass and energy.  From what I can tell I enjoy a fun sounding high energy iem with lots of detail and agression.  I am basically just using my iphone4s but actually auditioned my momentums with a fio e11k which actually enhanced the sound I found which I may purchase as well.

Thanks again for your response and giving me a warm welcome/introduction to head-fi! You the man.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 16
  Thanks so much! Brand new to posting hear and it's so cool that experienced vets like you take the time to help newbs like me. I really appreciate it. 
By the way I currently own the Sennheiser in ear momentums and really like the sound, not sure if you have heard them but they are considered bassy with a very V shaped sound signature which I enjoy. I was wondering if you would know if the dn1000 would be similar but more advanced and refined sounding.  I really do enjoy a crisp bright sound with hefty bass.  I've also been following the new Altone200 forum and some have said that it easily beats the dn1000.  But from what I've read I don't believe it has as much bass impact as the dn1000.  Not really good at reading the graphs either and not even sure if that always tells the answer but would you have any input on that?

The dn1000 are well within my price range and if you have anything better to recommend that would be great.  I might even splurge on the Sennheiser I8 or 80 as I've heard they are clear upgrades to my momentums as well. I was a little hesitant about the dn1000's because of some reviews that although the treble is clear it is a bit subdued in favor of a more forward mid range.
I am also a bit hesitant do to some reviews that dn1000 can be uncomfortable due to the large nozzle.  I have normal to larger ear canals I'd say.

I listen to mostly female vocals in pop/studio hi def recordings but mostly edm with driving bass and energy.  From what I can tell I enjoy a fun sounding high energy iem with lots of detail and agression.  I am basically just using my iphone4s but actually auditioned my momentums with a fio e11k which actually enhanced the sound I found which I may purchase as well.

Thanks again for your response and giving me a warm welcome/introduction to head-fi! You the man.

Altone will have the highs you want, its very clear, vivid, bright even, but the bass isn't on a level that will satisfy you. I haven't heard in-ear momentums, DN-1000 is slightly V shaped nothing too extreme, the bass and treble are a little forward (more so the bass). I don't understand what they're saying about the treble, I find it smooth but not subdued. I will tell you as secret though, its often brighter treble enhanced IEMs that tend to cause early fatigue, they can be tiring after an hour or two, especially if you like to listen loud. Sometimes crisp highs are an IEM's downfall as one could find in T-Peos H-300 hybrid, one of the brightest IEM I own. This is why I say DN-1000 has been tuned well, with correct research. While its highs might not be overly bright they're also very comfortable for long listening sessions. 

About the comfort levels.

Some people with small ears find the housings a little heavy, I didn't find this a problem personally. The housings are actually a little large at the rear end, and they weigh approx 7.5grams each housing. Once you've read the reviews take a look at the impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/681435/dunu-dn-1000-dunus-hybrid-iem-impressions-thread

200x200px-ZC-60cdd849_DunuDN-1000housing.jpeg

I cannot give direct answers about the comfort level for each individual as its different for everyone, only my best description of the sound signature.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 16
I was pretty sure the bass of the Altone200 wouldn't satisfy my needs.  I never really find fatigue an issue even with my very lively Momentums. I don't think the weight will be an issue as I've heard as long as you get a good fit the dn1000 will stay in your ear which is the most important part. Do you prefer the Altone200 because of its overall technical abilities or more because it suits your sound signature as I know a lot of people here prefer more 'audiofile' neutral sounding iem's. I really do want a technically awesome iem that suits my sound signature preference. If the Altone200 is just all round technically better maybe I should wait for something that fits my needs better or keep searching?  I've looked at JVC fx700,750(odd theres very little info on 750),850 and EPH-100.  The next ones are a higher pay jump in the I8 and I80 which seem like the upgrade to me but not sure I want to spend that much. rha 750 and t10 where also on my list but from what Ive read theyre not as exciting sounding as I want. 

Anyways, maybe when I get my wooduo2's they'll suit me fine and I can wait til I see a phone that I must have.  As of right now if I were to purchase a next one I think it would be the dn1000.

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 16
  I was pretty sure the bass of the Altone200 wouldn't satisfy my needs.  I never really find fatigue an issue even with my very lively Momentums. I don't think the weight will be an issue as I've heard as long as you get a good fit the dn1000 will stay in your ear which is the most important part. Do you prefer the Altone200 because of its overall technical abilities or more because it suits your sound signature as I know a lot of people here prefer more 'audiofile' neutral sounding iem's. I really do want a technically awesome iem that suits my sound signature preference. If the Altone200 is just all round technically better maybe I should wait for something that fits my needs better or keep searching?  I've looked at JVC fx700,750(odd theres very little info on 750),850 and EPH-100.  The next ones are a higher pay jump in the I8 and I80 which seem like the upgrade to me but not sure I want to spend that much. rha 750 and t10 where also on my list but from what Ive read theyre not as exciting sounding as I want. 

Anyways, maybe when I get my wooduo2's they'll suit me fine and I can wait til I see a phone that I must have.  As of right now if I were to purchase a next one I think it would be the dn1000.

Thanks.

If you're really interested in Altone then by all means I stick to what I said, they will outclass DN-1000 for my preferences and the bass still has great texture just less quantity, you may find them a little bright for extended listening though with your genres. Please read Brooko's review on Altone who describes the sound well, along with the other Altone reviews, Brooko even has a quick comparison with Altone vs DN-1000. They sound much cleaner / vivid / higher in clarity but remember what I said, sometimes these overly vivid presentations found on T-Peos products can be tiring rather quickly. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/t-peos-altone200/reviews

You can even contact Brooko directly via PM and gather his thoughts, he's very helpful.

Just say H20 sent you. 
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Lol. I'm too scared to direct PM anyone yet as a newb.  If I do I will say you sent me for sure! As far as brightness I enjoy the bright sound. Many people say the momentums I own are overly bright which I enjoy.  Only on rare tracks do I find it fatiguing and need to turn the volume down.  I have heard a few say that the Altones are not for electronic and hip hop due to the lack of bass.  Im not after teeth shattering mind numbing bass mind you although I wouldnt mind it :).  I just find bass very important in songs where there is a big crescendo where the bass drops and puts a big smile on my face :) .  I have no doubt the Altones would be perfect for the indie and acoustic music I listen to, but am looking for something with significantly enhanced bass as I mostly listen to edm.

I've come to the belief that it's really hard or impossible to get very strong bass without recessed mids and or treble because the way equalization on tuning works.  I'm not sure about anything really anymore :) . Anyways its 8:30 a.m here and I need to sleep.

Thanks again for everything and have a great day!
Look forward to waking to more forum info tommorow! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back