Bass heavy - treble light headphones
May 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CaptainRusko

Head-Fier
I am now pretty sure I prefer headphones with a bit more bass, or rather a bit more sub-bass, the frequencies which produces a rumble rather than a boom, and so have been trying to look for headphones that are a bit bassy.

Now here is the problem... A lot of headphones that cater to the bass-head seem have a "fun" sound signature and I REALLY HATE piercing highs. I hate piercing sounds on my headphone more than I love the bass because ultimately, If I want to jack the volume up and enjoy some more of that sweet bass, I can get caught out and hurt my ears.

I am really considering getting some HD650's just because, by general consensus, they appear to have something of a "veil" on the highs, which is just what I want but... Will the bass be sufficient?

Can anyone recommend some headphones that fit my requirements?

May 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 12
The Denon D2000 offers good punchy bass and highs are closer to HD650( none prominent) and they sound very good for almost all genres music.

May 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Audio Technica ESW9 have smooth overall signature as well. And if you have the cash, the Audeze LCD-2 rev 1's.

May 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I am now pretty sure I prefer headphones with a bit more bass, or rather a bit more sub-bass, the frequencies which produces a rumble rather than a boom, and so have been trying to look for headphones that are a bit bassy.

Now here is the problem... A lot of headphones that cater to the bass-head seem have a "fun" sound signature and I REALLY HATE piercing highs. I hate piercing sounds on my headphone more than I love the bass because ultimately, If I want to jack the volume up and enjoy some more of that sweet bass, I can get caught out and hurt my ears.

I am really considering getting some HD650's just because, by general consensus, they appear to have something of a "veil" on the highs, which is just what I want but... Will the bass be sufficient?

Can anyone recommend some headphones that fit my requirements?

Heya,

M-Audio Q40. Shure SRH750 DJ. Sony XB700. Panasonic HTF600.

I think you'll be disappointed with the sub-bass (lack of) in the HD650 compared to what most closed headphones are going to give you. Denons also could be an option, but they're on the bright side, not dim.

Very best,

May 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 12
+1 vote for Sony MDR-XB500 or Sony MDR-XB700. If you get stuck between these, there are plenty of posts throughout the forum. 

May 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
It depends on what you'd consider bass heavy and what your past experience is.  HD650 is rather bass neutral IMO with sub-bass rolloff.

Sorry I should say what headphones I have experienced. I have actually got the Sony xb500. Now the bass on these is definitely there, but I find these headphones suit songs that have a moderate amount of bass and helps bring them more to the fore. With songs that have a lot of bass anyway, they tend to bleed everywhere. This is why I think my first priority is tamed treble, big bass second. I do not want massive bass monsters.

Put it this way, I had some DT880's, which I found to be excellent in their own ways, and I recongnised as the better overall headphones certainly, but the fact that I actually preferred to use the £50 brutish sony's over the refined DT880's for some songs should give you an idea to my ears.

I have currently have a CAL! on my head and find them a good balance between the two sets. Now my ears are not very critical at all but I would say there is a bit of a roll off in the bass low down and the presentation is slightly in the background, although it seems very controlled. I just find they can give you a bit of a jump occasionally with the treble.

I have been musing at the D2000, the V-MODA and the Q40. I was indeed wondering whether the d2000 would be just a tad to bright or not. As for the v-moda, if they have more bass than the sony's then that is me out. The xb500 is too much for general listening imo. I notice a guy around the forums whose says he is a real bass-head who uses the q40's but I do not like to buy headphones I cannot find much on.

May 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Heya,

M-Audio Q40. Shure SRH750 DJ. Sony XB700. Panasonic HTF600.

I think you'll be disappointed with the sub-bass (lack of) in the HD650 compared to what most closed headphones are going to give you. Denons also could be an option, but they're on the bright side, not dim.

Very best,

OMG LOOK some one recommend the Sony XB700. The first time it wasn't me recommedening them xD +1 to u sir
Quote:
Sony xb-500 4-24,000 Hz
V-moda Crossfade lp. 5-30,000 Hz
Both are bass (good bass) oriented. They dont have piercing highs. (They might be too bassy especially the vmodas)
My vmodas sometimes feel like they are going to vibrate off my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwg9-Z-QvAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cxtaoFUIqc

No if you want Sub Bass get the 700, the 700 is SUB heavy and the 500 is mid heavy.
I'd like to hear the VModas actually!
Quote:
+1 vote for Sony MDR-XB500 or Sony MDR-XB700. If you get stuck between these, there are plenty of posts throughout the forum. 

Again if you want actual Sub Bass the XB700 is your friend, and you'll need to do a simple mod to it and invest in a E11 for pure epic sub bass UMPH!

Here's a link to the Mod for the XB700 [it works for the 500 as well]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553762/sony-xb-700-mod

May 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Sorry I should say what headphones I have experienced. I have actually got the Sony xb500. Now the bass on these is definitely there, but I find these headphones suit songs that have a moderate amount of bass and helps bring them more to the fore. With songs that have a lot of bass anyway, they tend to bleed everywhere. This is why I think my first priority is tamed treble, big bass second. I do not want massive bass monsters.

Yeh, I know what you mean - the XB500 tends to muddy up songs with its bass presentation. You might want to consider either the DT770 or the D2000 for your needs. I especially like the Beyers, and I think they can handle dance music very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back