Bass heavy setup?
Aug 6, 2004 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bioallen

100+ Head-Fier
What is a good bassheavy setup for around 300 USD, a buddy of mine is into Drum and Bass, Rap, etc. He has a good setup in his car which hit 138db in a bass competition. So he is a bassheavy kinda guy. Hes really new to headphones, as am I, but he really liked my old HD600's. But those and a decent amp may be out of the 300 range. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 20
Give him the V600, take the change money and RUN!
smily_headphones1.gif
Wait a minute.. 138dB on Bass competition? Dang...

May we enquire as to what he'll be using the setup with? Portable Gear? HT setup? ETc? For what purposes? Exercise, bumming off time?

In Canals, he won't like E3s, they lack bass compared to EX71s or Shure E2s. Don't think either really needs an amp, but the latter could benefit from it, IIRC.

He might very well be happy with the Bass reproduction of V6s as well. I've yet come across any phones that provides such a thump in the Bass. And that's all for $60-80, so if he is inclined to, he can get an amp for his setup as well. On this (heavy bass from V6), most won't disagree with.

If he wants to spend more, the V7s appearently provides smoother sound (tamed highs and less exaggereated lows), but haven't come across them in any meaningful matter to say yay or nay on the matter.

Well, your friend is certainly welcomed to Head-Fi. And as for his wallet, it'll be experiencing pain from a new source... I know... Sigh...

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 20
138 and he placed 3rd in the Competition with 2 10" Solobaric L7's and the lady who's husband owned Digital Design won with 1 10" Sub that dropped 141. Anyways if I say Sony he will think they suck, hes not a Sony guy haha, what would you say is bassheavy pushing the $300 limit. He wants to sound like he is in a club, and the music to be clear. Also this will be driven from a comptuer.

Chris

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 20
Hahaha...do you wear earplugs when you're driving?

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 20
If your friend habitually listens to bass-heavy music at those dB levels, it probably doesn't matter too much what he gets in the way of cans... he's probably not into subtlety, is he?

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 20
AT A900's would probably be suitable. I haven't heard them, I had the A500, but they should be great for bass music while at the same time provide a good frequency response for mids and highs.

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 20
From what I have *read* I dont think the A900 could be called a bass heavy phone - its probably pretty balanced overall.

The HP890 is not only a bassy phone, but it can go up to around the 138 db level, if thats what he wants. Easily driven too.

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 20
Grados might to do the job, properly amped that is . . .

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 20
the answer is your friend doesn't really care about the fidelity of the music he listens to, probably doesn't care much about soundstage, speed, smoothness, whether it's dry or analitical

so I'll be anything that has tons of bass works

those crazy technics djv1200 series will work great I think

regardless, he'll go deaf sooner than he thinks

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 20
The three bassheadest headphones that I know are,

1) Beyerdynamic DT770-250
2) Ultrasone HFI-700 (aka HFI-650 DVD edition)
3) Sony V6

You could also improve your basshead setup with a PPA with Bassboost, this will completly make it a basshead crazy setup, but if you love bass you will enjoy this setup.

Good luck,

Aug 6, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by -VT
*proud of his 159.9db competition score*

Stereo Integrity equipment for life
very_evil_smiley.gif
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Awesome, what setup were you running and in whate vehicle? Bass is life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abula
The three bassheadest headphones that I know are,

1) Beyerdynamic DT770-250
2) Ultrasone HFI-700 (aka HFI-650 DVD edition)
3) Sony V6

You could also improve your basshead setup with a PPA with Bassboost, this will completly make it a basshead crazy setup, but if you love bass you will enjoy this setup.

Good luck,

Thanks Abula, I will problably have him get the beyers and V6's with the PPA see how he likes it. Thanks for all the great help.

Chris

Aug 7, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 20
The 159.9db score was with 3 Stereo Integrity SI 15"s and 3 Hifonics BX1500D Amps in a 2004 Toyota Matrix Hatchback
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ive since then cut that back to a single 15 and amp, though.

I needed my backseats and rear visibility more than hearing loss
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by -VT
The 159.9db score was with 3 Stereo Integrity SI 15"s and 3 Hifonics BX1500D Amps in a 2004 Toyota Matrix Hatchback
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ive since then cut that back to a single 15 and amp, though.

I needed my backseats and rear visibility more than hearing loss
wink.gif

How is it humanly possible to survive those kinds of bass?
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back