Bass heavy IEM or cans with good isolation
Mar 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

buz

500+ Head-Fier
I am working in a relatively crowded office for the foreseeable future and while I really like the sound signature of my FX500 (can't help but wonder if the MTPG would be better but that's just upgradeitis), their isolation is really nothing to write home about.

So am left to wonder if there is similar sounding IEM or easy to drive can (generally using a Clip+ in the office) with good isolation and low microphonics? Note: I'm not very price sensitive but I would like to avoid the expense and time consuming process of going custom...

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Can't comment on how the MTPG compares to the FX500 but the isolation is definitely one of the strengths of the Turbines. The title the first thing that came to mind from reading the title, however, was the Atrio+Olive tips.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 15
While I have never used proper olives, I tried some included coated foam thingies once and I absolutely hated them. I think I'll stick with biflanges. The issue with the FX500 seems to be the many vents it has (it does not seem to leak any sound interestingy) which I assume it needs to create the bass impact it has...

To put it in another perspective: the RE0 would be ideal for my uses if the bass was more present... It definitely is there, there's just nothing of that deep down raw power I came to appreciate with the FX500. On the upside, the mids / treble do sound a little bit better.

I wonder if I could get away with the Hippo VB instead of dropping 250+ on the MTP (which I would love to try but I doubt I can find it anywhere near me)

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Loving my FX500s, too. Especially wearing them upside-down and backwards (so I can wear the cable over the ear), and with double-flanged silicone tips; swipe them from the RE0 I see in your signature line.

P.S.: I've heard that the MTP Coppers are better. The Golds aren't.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 15
Very interesting, first person to comment on MTP vs FX500 I think.

I actually use the oversized bi flanges with the RE0 (only tips I can get a seal with with the RE0) and just regular 2usd ebay bi flanges with the FX500 (I could not make out any significant difference when I tried the large ones) but still, the isolation could certainly be better. Maybe, just maybe, I should upgrade the Clip to something with a decent EQ and EQ the heck out of the RE0
biggrin.gif

Seeing that you have the Atrios and also the IE8, how do those 2 compare to the FX500?

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 15
I've actually got the best isolation from the big biflanges on the RE0, but they're ear-stretchers. (Those things are isolation monsters, like Shure triples for larger nozzles. Buy, borrow, or steal them whereever you find them. Okay, don't steal them.) I use plain silicone bi-flanges instead.

I got my Sansa e260 because, and only because, I could Rockbox it. You could Rockbox the Clip, but there are notes in bright red capital letters on why you shouldn't.

If EQ matters to you, shop that way. Shopping with Rockbox in mind wouldn't hurt.

Versus the FX500s, the Atrios are a little lighter on the top, and heavier on the bottom. the IE8s are much lighter on the top, and MUCH heavier on the bottom.

I LOVE the IE8s, but without good EQ to flatten them out, you'll be unhappy, drowning in midbass. The Atrios are fine out the box, fuzzier at the top, but harder at the bottom.

I found the MTP Golds eccentric; hot treble, recessed mids, with tame, "civilized" bass except for the big, fat midbass hump. I haven't done the full listen--just got them--but I look forward to a long, bumpy EQ session.

Maybe when I normalize them, they'll be decent phones, but I shouldn't have to work that hard; I don't touch the EQ for the FX500 barely at all.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 15
I could Rockbox the Clip, if only it was a ClipV1 (it's really a Clip+ which is sort of like a Clip2 in my understanding
wink.gif
. I don't want the Fuze for I won't deal with proprietary cables again. Gimme MiniUSB or I'll stay away.

I tried to grab the bi flanges that came with my GF's RE2 but that didn't fly too well with her
beerchug.gif

As for them being earstretchers, maybe I just have giant earcanals, but I generally use the biggest single flanges I can find (if I use single flanges) and may still occasionally not get a seal (especially with the BB IEM) so I would happily get a few more pairs of them, but not at 30bucks (including shipping)...

But your words are very helpful, while the upgrade bug is obviously never quite dead, I feel I can put off dropping more money on IEMs for while. And instead go get some cans
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Sansa e260 because, and only because, I could Rockbox it. You could Rockbox the Clip, but there are notes in bright red capital letters on why you shouldn't.

Ah, the E260. The E- and C-series Sansas have one of the most uneven, erratic responses of any player I've heard. That might explain part of your impressions. I don't find the MTPG "hot" at all. They're actually a bit bland and boring compared to some more trebly IEMs.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

The E- and C-series Sansas have one of the most uneven, erratic responses of any player I've heard.

Wow, really? They've been steady as a rock for me, no complaints. It's why I've stuck with them for so long.

I notice you're on the Fuze. Are they that much better? And how's the EQ? Sansa sucks notoriously at it, hence the Rockbox.

I tested the MTP Gold on my home setup, however; I have all my audio goodies there--test CD, lossless tracks, EQ software, etc., etc. I just checked to see if my new-used phones were working.

I revise my impressions--I hope--once I've done my full listen: equalizing on my home setup, then a week on average after equalizing on my crappy e260.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

I don't find the MTPG "hot" at all. They're actually a bit bland and boring compared to some more trebly IEMs

I was comparing it to other bass-biased, single-driver IEMs, apples to apples.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 15
If you looking for bassy iem's, get the Future Sonics Atrio M5...they do provide full, rich and great bass, they are a little expensive but they worth it.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, really? They've been steady as a rock for me, no complaints. It's why I've stuck with them for so long.

I notice you're on the Fuze. Are they that much better? And how's the EQ? Sansa sucks notoriously at it, hence the Rockbox.

I tested the MTP Gold on my home setup, however; I have all my audio goodies there--test CD, lossless tracks, EQ software, etc., etc. I just checked to see if my new-used phones were working.

I revise my impressions--I hope--once I've done my full listen: equalizing on my home setup, then a week on average after equalizing on my crappy e260.
tongue_smile.gif

The EQ on the Fuze is atrocious, but rockbox does run on the v1 players, no issues. I went through several E-series players and this graph sums the difference between the clip/fuze and E/C players quite well:

21825105.png

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 15
Wow! That's worth a look, then.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 15
My Klipsch X10 which I am selling- too much for my taste but compelling on some music- like a subwoofer sometimes, similar to Denon D5000 in some respects. And I have the RE0 so I know what your saying. If I didn't score such a deal on some X5's, I would definitely keep them.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 15
Those X10 look a little scary to me... I'm starting to think I should probably go the good can route simply because I only have the V6 but a whole stack of IEMs by now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back