Bass-Heavy Headphones?
Apr 20, 2012 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Exprima

Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm looking a pair of bass-heavy headphones. I'd like to get a pair since I'm learning to play bass and it would help me learn bass lines by ear. 

My main cans are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which I love so much I even bought a second pair (got the LEs, letting my friend borrow the older pair indefinitely). As great as they are, though, the bass is not enough for me. I need something with EXTREME emphasis on bass. My budget at the moment would be around the $100 range and I'd very much refer over-ears. Right now I'm looking at the V-Moda Crossfade LP, Panasonic HTF600, and the AKG K240.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 20
If you're dead set on sticking to under $100; out of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Crossfade LP's... And I'd add Sony's XB500's on there, give those a try. 

If you're willing to go a bit over the $100 consider the Shure SRH840 or the Ultrasone HFI-580.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm looking a pair of bass-heavy headphones. I'd like to get a pair since I'm learning to play bass and it would help me learn bass lines by ear. 

My main cans are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which I love so much I even bought a second pair (got the LEs, letting my friend borrow the older pair indefinitely). As great as they are, though, the bass is not enough for me. I need something with EXTREME emphasis on bass. My budget at the moment would be around the $100 range and I'd very much refer over-ears. Right now I'm looking at the V-Moda Crossfade LP, Panasonic HTF600, and the AKG K240.

Heya,

M-Audio Q40.

Very best,

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 20
Sony XB series, preferably the 500s..

Listening to them as we speak. You wont be disappointed. They're like, squishy, bassy pillows lol.

[Sent from my HTC Inspire via Tapatalk 2.0 :) Pardon errors.]

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:

Well, if you need an extreme emphasis on bass, then for your budget, you can do no wrong with the Sony XB500s. Many others have also attested to its ability to deliver really punchy, in-your-face bass. I'm sure you'll love it. :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for the replies, guys. The XB500 is looking really good to me right now. What if I were to, say, double my budget though? The Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MKII is looking very attractive to me atm.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 20
yup, thats exactly what i came in to tell you, ath pr700mk2 would be ideal since you already love the audio technica sound signature and the pro700mk2's are basically m50's with a heavy emphasis on bass, the earpads ******* suck tho :frowning2:

xb500's in the sub 100 range are also hard to beat in terms of pure bass quantity, might want to look into the creative aurvana (not exactly basshead phones but still good for consideration) & the monoprice 8323's (basically kicker hp541 under a different brand and half the price)

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 20
Actually with a bit of research I hear the XB500s aren't very good with rock, which is my main genre. Also scratch the double budget thing... So right now I'm leaning more towards the Crossfade LPs.

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Actually with a bit of research I hear the XB500s aren't very good with rock, which is my main genre. Also scratch the double budget thing... So right now I'm leaning more towards the Crossfade LPs.

Yeah, the XB500s aren't very good with rock/metal at all. The overly emphasized low-end really drowns out a lot of the other sounds. The PRO700MK2s are slightly less bass heavy than the XB500s, but they sound a lot better with other genres. Nevertheless, I've never heard the Crossfades, so you might want to audition them all before you pull the trigger.

Still, if you're comparing between the XB500 and the PRO700MK2s, and for listening to other genres of music besides EDM & rap, I'd go with the latter.

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:

Yeah, the XB500s aren't very good with rock/metal at all. The overly emphasized low-end really drowns out a lot of the other sounds. The PRO700MK2s are slightly less bass heavy than the XB500s, but they sound a lot better with other genres. Nevertheless, I've never heard the Crossfades, so you might want to audition them all before you pull the trigger.

Still, if you're comparing between the XB500 and the PRO700MK2s, and for listening to other genres of music besides EDM & rap, I'd go with the latter.

My friend has a pair of the Crossfade LP and LP2, I was gonna ask him to let me try them out this coming Sunday but he said he'll be busy. I'm in no hurry, though, so it's likely I'll get to try them out before I buy them. Weird thing is he said they sound similar to my ATH-M50s, which is contrary to what I've been hearing online. He said the LP2 and LP sound the same.

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 20
denon d2000, great bass.

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
denon d2000, great bass.

Waaay out of my price range, brah. 
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back