Bass Headphones
Dec 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheSlov3nc

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a bass headphones in a 150$ price range. I'll use them on a bus to school, so they have to look good. xD The Sony's MDR-XB500 really caught my attention. Are there any alternatives? 
Please don't look on Amazon, because I live in Slovenia and they dont' ship to Slovenia.

Thanks, Erik

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Denon AH-D1100 closed and bassy headphone.
$107 at Electronics Expo.
need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I'm looking for a bass headphones in a 150$ price range. I'll use them on a bus to school, so they have to look good. xD The Sony's MDR-XB500 really caught my attention. Are there any alternatives?

XB series look relatively ugly imo (but they are well built). XB500 is good, only and only if you want big punchy bass without good SQ. There are many other alternatives in this price range.

HFi580 is one example, bass slightly less punchy, but much better SQ, more robust and, imo, look better.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm avidly against Ultrasone's lower end line. If you're listening to nothing but bass heavy electronic-like genres, they sound quite good, but I feel like for more natural genres they fall apart. I personally greatly preferred the Koss DJ 100 to it for a bass-heavy headphone. That one does require a good seal to get the full bass, but I found it sounded far more natural than the Ultrasones, which sounded weird and artificial to me. 

That said, there are some supporters of the Ultrasone at Head-Fi. They do have a nice tight bass. 

SQ stands for sound quality. 

Quote:
I noticed that the Ultrasone HFI-580 are really popular. Are really that good?

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Another bass headphone which seems to be often is overlooked here would be M-Audio Q40 for ~$120, very detailed basshead headphones, it does have slightly pushed forward treble around 8kHz which I reduced 2 steps on this Realtek HD's onboard EQ and it became fine (I prefer slightly warm sound) and works great with any music, also acoustic music which isn't Ultrasone's HFI-580's strongest point. Looks really great and these are fully closed so they isolate a bit (not superb) and doesn't leak much. Pads are quite cheap and the clamping is a bit above average but they aren't uncomfortable for me to use at least, since the pads are so shallow I stuffed some piece of paper towel underneath the pads to make the cups more deep so the fitting got better (better bass response). I also heard BeyerDynamic DT770 pads fit on these and I'm somewhat interested in the Beyer Gel pads but they are quite expensive. :p They also have replacable cord so u can buy a shorter one for portable use.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 12
The ATH-M50 is pretty well-known, but is a little overpriced. They're worth it at 120 USD, but not 150. The V-Moda M80 is a very highly-reviewed and stylish headphone, and since style is something you want I'd look at them a lot. You can find many reviews of the V-Moda M80 here on Head-Fi just by searching for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back