Bass guitar preference in music
Nov 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

adevriesc

New Head-Fier
After listening to a bunch of different bass guitar brands (my buddy Tim is a bass guitar snob) I became a bit of an addict to one, and most bands that use them interest me.

Warwick basses seem to have way more texture and presence than the competition.

Do any of you have a similar outlook about a brand?

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 10
My impression is that Warwick basses are popular in metal genres, and in some part due to their aggressive looks/design.
The strings, amps, etc make so much difference it's hard for me to identify real brand differences. One bass player here at my house, and we like the sound of his Fender p-bass through Ampeg amplification.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 10
They do have a heavy presence in metal, though I disagree slightly in regard to an overall aggressive design scheme. Most of their designs are much more... Rounded than I'd expect to see in metal bands.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 10
  They do have a heavy presence in metal, though I disagree slightly in regard to an overall aggressive design scheme. Most of their designs are much more... Rounded than I'd expect to see in metal bands.

True, but so is this
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 10
  True, but so is this
biggrin.gif

One product isn't necessarily indicative of an entire company, though. Fender's Katana production run? In any case, this was meant to be a discussion about bass sound quality, not aesthetics and genres. No offense meant.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 10
no offense taken, or given or intended.  Just talkin.  I've always liked Rickenbacker basses, among others.  And Jack Bruce's Gibson EB3, if I remember the model name right.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 10
dt880smile.png
 Well, I've always found Muse's bass texture interesting. And if you haven't heard Steve Bailey you're missing out. Them harmonics are summat else. And when you combine Wooten and Bailey... Eargasm. Edit: Skip around a bit and enjoy.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 10

dt880smile.png
 Well, I've always found Muse's bass texture interesting. And if you haven't heard Steve Bailey you're missing out. Them harmonics are summat else. And when you combine Wooten and Bailey... Eargasm. Edit: Skip around a bit and enjoy.

Nice.  You probably also know Marcus Miller, at those Olympian heights.  Fender Jazz bass, mostly, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back