Bass Distortion with HD600 and uDAC on some recordings.
Feb 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tigerwoodkhorns

New Head-Fier
First off, I don't want this thread to spread to people saying the the uDAC is a POS because "everyone can hear the bass distortion." This is very infrequent and only on certain recordings.

Is anyone else experiencign this?

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600's and a NuForce uDAC. On certain music I am hearing distortion in the bass, but in the bass only. It sounds like amplifier distortion, but I'm not sure if it is the recording or the Headphones/amp.

I know that the next step is to run it through headphones that are an easier load and then through my stereo to see if the distortion is there.

In any event, only the bass is distorting (not a huge amount, but you can hear it), so I am wondering if the recordings are clipping the bass only, or if it is the amp running out of steam. It seems that if the amp is clipping, the entire audio track would distort, not just the bass. Then again, when I adjusted the bass up on the eq in MediaMoneky, it had just about the same effect, bass distortion only.

I also do not listen very loud, so I am not pushing the amp that hard, but the HD600's are a tough load for a small amp. Again, it is when the bass is more prominent on recordings (like some Beatles MSFL recordings that I have, Amy Winehouse Back to Black).

Anyone else with experience with the HD600 and uDAC having this happen?

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 7
amy winehouse back to black has lots of ugly digital bass clipping (as opposed to possibly pleasing analog clipping) in the recording itself. It's probably the worst mastered popular album I've heard in quite a while. Just awful.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes! Same exact thing is happening to me. Using a uDac a LD MkIII and the HD600. I purchased the cans used here and was a little worried i bought a bunk pair. It happened on the first recording i was listening to, A Midsummer Nice Dream by Ochre. Even on moderate volumes when the bass would hit the left driver would make a slight buzzing sound. I have not encountered this in any of my other recordings or in any other configuration with that recording

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm.

I'll have to try these on another system to see if the distortion is there. The Beatles recordings are outstanding. I'm not even a Beatles fan and these are so good I can listen to the albums straigth through. It seems like recordings that are this well mastered should not have bass that is clipped, but maybe it is.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Are you sure its not the recording? Try plugging in the HD 600 directly into your computer and see if it still distorts.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get that too with any audio setup. Its usually the recording. Clipping is bad. I doubt its equipment.

I am going to have to stop recommending this fine combo anyways until this gets sorted out, just to be on the safe side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back