BASS DISTORTION/ CRACKLE ON DT 770 PRO 250 ohm
Feb 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nc300

New Head-Fier

hello guys, i just got the beryerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm headphones, i've been having a problem with them that annoys the crap out of me, i use my dt 770s on my pc (lenvo k330) with a fiio e11, i connect the fiio e11 to the 3.5 jack on my desktop, and connect the dt 770s to that (aka my current set up), and ive been having a problem where when i put the eq (bass boost) all the way up and then play a bass heavy song on on youtube, the bass is not deep and there is a crackle kind of like a plastic bag effect on both right and left phones. so i thought it was a question of sound quality so i went to my zune marketplace (HQ AUDIO FILES) and played the same songs and i still heard that cheap headphone crackle, why is this? is it the amp? it doesnt have enough juice? is it my setup(should i use a dac instead for desk top listening?) is it the headphones? are they deffective? is it burn in, do i need to burn them in more?

PS: these song are where the crackle is very present and obviouse with the eq (bass boost) all the way up and volume
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDWA-SJAZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXehJXI0RreB9OrByrwJ69C1

so what do you guys think?

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Just listening with my Denons at the youtube track.. Quality sucks..
Same as you explained.

I've heard the Beyers do handle loud volumes rather bad.
But it wouldn't sound like the crackle in the youtube vids.. which i also can hear.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 10
You are abusing the equalizer... By putting the bass all the way up, you most likely introduce clipping and this is what you hear. Also, you are probably listening way too loud and clipping can be introduced by this as well. Not to mention that you can go deaf.
Instead of maxing the bass frequencies, try reducing all other frequencies. That is actually the correct way to use an equalizer, any studio engineer will tell you this. If the problem persists, You might have damaged your headphones but I wouldn't say that this is very likely, Beyer builds those drivers to last.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 10
well you are correct on 70-80 % volume the bass is deep and and just warm :) but once i put that thing to max i hear a loss in bass quality and crackle. so you dont think it is because the phones are defective? should i use a better amp ( i know i can allways do way better than the amp i have) but my amp can power up to 80 ohms, will there ever be a way i can use these with 100% volume without crackle? and yes your right its not a good idea that i do, but still?

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 10
There's clipping (crackle) in the youtube vid in the first track you listed in the bass, and in the 2d track during the female vocals. I'm listening with a Stax 007 so I sincerely doubt it's my headphones. So your 770s are probably fine - probably.

However, the 770s do have a known issue where drivers will develop a rattle over time. Generally it will happen in 1 driver first. Also, dynamic headphones generally don't like massively loud volumes and massive amounts of boosted bass - the above posters are correct in that you're likely overdriving them, though I don't know how loud you're listening (the easiest to tell would be to get a decibel meter app on your phone (free) which will give you a very rough estimate).

FWIW my 770s developed the rattling problem after several years in the left driver but I was never EQing them or driving them very loudly. I mostly used them for gaming. However the amp I used them with developed a faulty tube and it could be what killed them.

Sorry for no definitive advice but try music that you know has no issues and see what's going on.

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I used to own a DT990 Pro but I never drove them to play very loud... No idea how they'd react if overdriven, frankly, they were too loud for me already at about half of the FIIO E7's volume...

Quote:
im really new to this whole audiophile world, have you had or have the same problem? do you own dt 770 pros? "drivning them louder than expected in specs"?

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
FWIW my 770s developed the rattling problem after several years in the left driver but I was never EQing them or driving them very loudly. I mostly used them for gaming. However the amp I used them with developed a faulty tube and it could be what killed them.

Rattle problems developing over time are often caused by hair getting into the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back