Bass comparisons between RE0 and ER-4s?
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 18
I doubt either will fully satisfy you if you want impactful bass. The RE0 has dry, well defined bass with decent extension. My guess is that properly amped the ER4S is similar with better definition and somewhat less quantity.

More generally, the RE0 shouldn't be as quite bright as the ER4. It doesn't isolate as well and foam tips can be a hassle. On the other hand, the RE0 a more laid back 'phone with decent soundstage depending on tips and IMO it sounds amazing. Also, it's cheaper.

If I flew often, I'd go for the ER4P. But I don't, so I got the RE0 which is just as good.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 18
I disagree that RE0 is dry. It definitely has a wetter and smoother presentation than the Etymotics. Regarding the low end in particular, Etymotic takes the upper hand in quality with tighter, deeper and faster bass, while RE0 has a bit more impact.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 18
The real area of competence for a properly amped ER-4S is the texturing of the lows and mids. At the low end this results in better detail and more control. Also, as Pianist says, the Etys are a good bit faster than the RE0.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 18
There you have it, from people who have heard both. By the way, get the ER4P and a P-to-S adapter cable instead of the ER4S unless you plan to use an amp all the time.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 18
im sorry, I love my etys, but the er4s just doesnt have it in terms of bass. Sure, its detailed bass, but the re0 has a much more natural sounding & more noticeable bass.

the er4p digs a bit deeper, but I still think it lacks the "naturalness/ cohesiveness, whatever..." of the re0's.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 18
I would say in terms of depth and quality they are very much on par, but for impact the Ety offering lags the RE0s. I still own the RE0s.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 18
RE0 should just be calles REzero, just because it has zero bass. none nada zilch. flat a a pancake. boring.

ER4 is minimal in any version, however the ER6i filters improve it a bit, so my pal i traded em with tell me. Good for him I couldnt be bothered with either of these anymore. I had to move on to greener bassier pastures.

The ER4 sereis did have nice detail tho, while the RE series failed in every way for me. sorry folks.

I moved on to the Victor HP-FX500 for my IEMs, and have graduated to cans pretty much.

I hope you take this with a grain of salt as a personal opinion, another peers feelings on the subject, and not as a smear.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 18
My RE0 + iBasso T3 has plenty sufficient bass. It certainly isn't boomy, but on songs with bass present, the extension and impact of the bass are both very nice. In contrast, my teen's CX-300 invents bass where there isn't any!

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 should just be calles REzero, just because it has zero bass. none nada zilch. flat a a pancake. boring.

Are you sure you're using a non-defective pair with ample seal? I'm listening to them right now, and the bass is there. It's not thundering, but it's certainally not "zero bass."

I will agree that they're (reo) pretty flat, but many (including myself) see that as a good thing.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

ER4 is minimal in any version, however the ER6i filters improve it a bit, so my pal i traded em with tell me. Good for him I couldnt be bothered with either of these anymore. I had to move on to greener bassier pastures.

The ER4 sereis did have nice detail tho, while the RE series failed in every way for me. sorry folks.

I moved on to the Victor HP-FX500 for my IEMs, and have graduated to cans pretty much.

I hope you take this with a grain of salt as a personal opinion, another peers feelings on the subject, and not as a smear.

You should add "to my ears."

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

i couldnt disagree anymore with this statement

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Yeah, the RE0 definitely has bass. If you want to try something with no bass try the E3C. I felt like a basshead going from that to the RE0.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 18
interesting. I didn't find the E3 that bad. Of course that was when I had to get the E3 as my pair before my RMA set of another pair of iem's would come in the mail. I also got them for around 30 shipped so that may have had something to do with it.

Seeing all these threads about the RE0 make me miss my RE0 a little bit. I may have to buy them again sometime in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back