Bass Boost and Frequency in Windows
Nov 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jpzsports

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just purchased Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones and love them so far. I was just checking some of the audio settings on Windows 7 and noticed there is a bass boost setting. Currently it is on and is set to a "boost level" of 6dB and a Frequency of 80Hz. When I raise the boost level, the sound seems more muffled or quieter (except for the bass) and when I lower it, it seems clearer. What setting would you recommend to use, if at all? And what is the Frequency setting? I can't tell much of a difference when adjusting it.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi,

I just purchased Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones and love them so far. I was just checking some of the audio settings on Windows 7 and noticed there is a bass boost setting. Currently it is on and is set to a "boost level" of 6dB and a Frequency of 80Hz. When I raise the boost level, the sound seems more muffled or quieter (except for the bass) and when I lower it, it seems clearer. What setting would you recommend to use, if at all? And what is the Frequency setting? I can't tell much of a difference when adjusting it.

Thanks!

If things get quieter, that's a good thing. It means the equalizer isn't boosting frequencies, which could cause clipping. Instead it keeps the "boosted" frequency at 0 dBFS and lowers everything else.

The frequency setting is what frequency is getting boosted. If you increase it, higher pitched sounds will be boosted.

I would recommend you use whatever sounds best to you. An equalizer is meant to tailor the sound to your tastes, so it's hard to recommend settings. I'd use nothing at all, but adjusting sound through equalization (even one as basic as this) is way better than doing it through expensive gear and tweaks. Play around with it.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 3
I see! That makes much more sense now. Thanks so much for the help.

With Bass boost off, I think it sounds the best.
When I check bass boost but set the boost level to none, it actually loses bass.
And when I set it to 3dB it sounds pretty good (similar to it off)
As I go to 6dB and up, everything but the bass seems to be too quiet.

So it seems like either Bass Boost off or 3dB is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back