Bass and Soundstage: Fidelio X2's or HE-400i or More Money for Fostex TX00/ TH610
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

David Howland

New Head-Fier
Hi There,

I'm volunteering for some insane OT at work and I have up to $500 to spend on some new headphones. I have more, but I also have reservations about spending it as I have other obligations for my money and I just paid around $300 for Sennheiser HD600s not even 6 months ago. I'm still in love with them. I want their existence to remain justified. I just want to compliment them with another pair., I don't want to blow them out of the water.

A few months back I posted here to get help deciding between many options around $300. Overall it came between the HD600, the HE400s, the HE400i (Much more expensive at the time) and the Fidelio X2. After some back and forth I ended up with the HD600 and was not happy with it until I turned up the volume a little and grew into them. Now after listening to quite a few of my favorite songs I'm convinced it was the best decision. They changed what genres of music I listened to. I used to listen to Electronic, UK Dubstep, and Progressive and Alternative Rock, now I listen to more OSTs, Classical, and Acoustic. It sounded too good not to. but I'm still missing something.

At the time, I asked for a flat analytical sound with great mids and highs with accurate (not overbearing) bass. I wanted a large soundstage, but had to drop that as it didn't really fit any of the 'phones in my budget range while being flat. So the HD600 is amazing, but it misses a lot of the Sub Bass. It has accuracy but no punch, and definitely is very close. All of the sounds are presented in great detail and are obviously coming from inside the cup.

I'm looking to compliment my HD600 with something fun to listen to, that's a bit darker and more punchy without going over the deep end and losing accuracy. I want to feel the bass and have the illusion things are coming at me from around the room. I want these to be different than my HD600.

To give you a bit of history of ownership, I've always liked to think I was listening to the songs like the people mastering them. I've owned the following...

Souce
Modi/ Magni Gen 1

Headphones
1. Sennheiser HD555
2. Sennheiser HD380 Pro
3. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 280 Ohm
4. Mee Audio M6 Pro
5. HD600

Favorite Bands/ Music...

1. Muse
2. Radiohead
3. Daft Punk
4. Deadmau5
5. Avicii
6. OSTs
7. Classical
8. Coheed and Cambria
9. Danger Mouse
10. Kanye West

So here's the breakdown

1. The Fidelios and HE400i are both $250 on Amazon right now. Both are supposed to be very good, but I'd like to know more about how their sound signatures compare. I've heard everyone say the soundstage is wide and bass is boomy on the Fidelio, and I've heard things all over the board about the HE400i. I've read you can't beat planar bass, and that planar bass ruins the listening experience. If the HE400i is a better choice for the price, is the pair different enough from the HD600?

2. Why is the HE400s more expensive than the 400i? It supposedly has cheaper build and a less accurate midrange.

3. Should I spend MOOOOORE money and bump it up to $450-$500? The TH610 is $500 on Amazon and the TX00 Purple Heart is active on Massdrop for $450 (Although I've had **** experiences with Massdrop on much cheaper products). I'm mostly woried about not getting my money's worth out of my HD600 if I go this route. From the reviews I've found the TH610 I have the money, but do I really need to spend it to get what I want?

4. Should I get a Jotenheim or Darkvoice? I kind of want a new Stack, and as I grow my headphone collection I feel like it will add more variety to what I'm listening to.

What do you guys think? All input is appreciated, even if you have a different recomendation.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 9

1. The Fidelios and HE400i are both $250 on Amazon right now. Both are supposed to be very good, but I'd like to know more about how their sound signatures compare. I've heard everyone say the soundstage is wide and bass is boomy on the Fidelio, and I've heard things all over the board about the HE400i. I've read you can't beat planar bass, and that planar bass ruins the listening experience. If the HE400i is a better choice for the price, is the pair different enough from the HD600?

2. Why is the HE400s more expensive than the 400i? It supposedly has cheaper build and a less accurate midrange.

3. Should I spend MOOOOORE money and bump it up to $450-$500? The TH610 is $500 on Amazon and the TX00 Purple Heart is active on Massdrop for $450 (Although I've had **** experiences with Massdrop on much cheaper products). I'm mostly woried about not getting my money's worth out of my HD600 if I go this route. From the reviews I've found the TH610 I have the money, but do I really need to spend it to get what I want?

4. Should I get a Jotenheim or Darkvoice? I kind of want a new Stack, and as I grow my headphone collection I feel like it will add more variety to what I'm listening to.

What do you guys think? All input is appreciated, even if you have a different recomendation.

• When you say you want to feel the bass you mean you want sub bass right? If you are only concerned about sub bass the HE400i will be fine (not the best) since the planar bass really affects the mid bass more. The X2 will have more mid bass and a good sub bass (around the same maybe a bit better?) so it depends on what you want. Neither of them have the greatest sound stage in my opinion and I don't feel the soundstage is much different to the HD600 anyways. The HE400i probably has the least soundstage though but all this is from memory as I don't own any of these headphones so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
  • It used to be more expensive. The price drop was recent.
  • Haven't heard it so no clue. Not the same model but the Fostex TH900 didn't have that huge sub bass slam but a really good bass extension.
  • Well depends on what you want. If you want a balanced connection (you will have to recable all your headphones) then go for the Jotunheim but if you want that tube sound then go for the Darkvoice. I wouldn't really see the point in getting the Jotunheim unless you want balanced cable though to be honest.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Just took the time to demo some of the music you like (mostly muse and deadmau5) on both the HE400i and Th-x00 (mahogany), the HE400i is much more mid-centric, so will likely be better for alt-rock like muse etc, and for some of the deadmau5 vocals (though they still sound great on the th-x00 where they are a little recessed but more crisp, treble influenced)- the HE400i has a more warm sound and forward mids, which make it great for guitars and male vocals.  not sure if this space can be filled by your hd600.

However, for UK dubstep and anything with sub-bass and electronic the TH-x00 is the clear winner, wipes the floor with the hifiman imho.  The planar bass on the hifiman does indeed sound a little sterile (too accurate and tight), and takes some of the joy out of that bass kick you really want out of some good dubstep.  The Th-x00 is crisp, making the snares and kick have real punch, where to me the he400i falls a little flat.  Personally if I had to choose I would go with the Th-x00, especially since the purplehearts will have more midrange and the same great bass impact being a closed headphone.  I would love to get my hands on those since I love my mahoganies so much.  

TL;DR - Hifiman mid forward, good for rock, but for electronic Thx00 is winner, much for "fun" sounding headphone.

Haven't heard the Fidelio, though I hear great things.  Likely sending my He400i back, even at that great price.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you Both,

What I really want is the good Bass/ Sub-Bass and a warmer signiture with lots of soundstage. I've decided I really can't go and spend anything over $500 right now, so I think it's down to a Darkvoice/ X2 or just the TH-X00 Purpleheart on their own. I really want to be moved by my music and I love the look of the Purplehearts, so I'm leaning toward that route.
It seems the HiFiman and the TH-610 are both similar to my current HD600 set. One being around the same price and the other more and I'd still like to get a lot of listening in on what I have.
Can anyone chime in on their experiences with Massdrop in the next day or so? I ordered some Keycaps from them and it took 6 months after USPS failed to deliver them. I don't want to have this happen with $450 headphones... Maybe this was one bad experience in an ocean of good ones. It says expected ship date is the 7th. So I can wait a few days.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Typically tactile bass and impressive soundstage are mutually exclusive traits.....The only headphone that i have heard that has both is the X1/X2.

​I will respectfully disagree with the above statement that the HD600 has essentially the same soundstage as the X1/X2.I owned both at the same time,powered the HD600 with a WA2 amp and the X1 blew the doors off of the HD600 in both tactile bass punch and sound stage.....it really wasnt close.

That being said the mids on the X1/X2 are far too recessed for me to enjoy non bass centric music thru them.

The only other headphone in the discussion I can comment on is the 400i,which i would take over both the HD600 and X2,but im an admitted mids and planar junkie.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 9
  Typically tactile bass and impressive soundstage are mutually exclusive traits.....The only headphone that i have heard that has both is the X1/X2.

I will respectfully disagree with the above statement that the HD600 has essentially the same soundstage as the X1/X2.I owned both at the same time,powered the HD600 with a WA2 amp and the X1 blew the doors off of the HD600 in both tactile bass punch and sound stage.....it really wasnt close.

That being said the mids on the X1/X2 are far too recessed for me to enjoy non bass centric music thru them.

The only other headphone in the discussion I can comment on is the 400i,which i would take over both the HD600 and X2,but im an admitted mids and planar junkie.

Well,

The HD600 has plenty of clarity in the mids and highs for me. I feel like the bass is responsive but doesn't blow my head off. I'm not looking for a direct upgrade to the 600, more of a diagonal move. Something that's more of an upgrade to my Beyerdynamic DT-770. I'm still looking for a responsive bass, nothing too sloppy, but a bass that will be more forward. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 9

Well,

The HD600 has plenty of clarity in the mids and highs for me. I feel like the bass is responsive but doesn't blow my head off. I'm not looking for a direct upgrade to the 600, more of a diagonal move. Something that's more of an upgrade to my Beyerdynamic DT-770. I'm still looking for a responsive bass, nothing too sloppy, but a bass that will be more forward. 

Nothing wrong with the mids of the HD600,in fact its one of the strongest attributes....I think you underestimated me when I said I'm a "mids junkie"...a junkie doesnt want neutral or flat mids,he wants forward mids.

As far as DT770s youre asking the wrong guy,I dont like closed backs and hated the DT770s specifically.

Im not sure the X2 will be a night and day difference from the DT770s in bass response,but theyre not as bright,and have better sound stage. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 9

​I will respectfully disagree with the above statement that the HD600 has essentially the same soundstage as the X1/X2.I owned both at the same time,powered the HD600 with a WA2 amp and the X1 blew the doors off of the HD600 in both tactile bass punch and sound stage.....it really wasnt close.

Well it was a long time ago. Memory doesn't serve me well so I might be completely wrong. Also I would take the 400i over the other two also. I'm a fan for mids too.

Well,

I've heard good things about the Meze 99 Classic. Maybe look into it?

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 9
I decided after reading a ton of reviews on all of the headphones and watching videos. I joined the drop for the Purpleheart TH-X00 and got a pair of Sheepskin Angled pads like ZReviews recommended. He said the soundstage got to be crazy and the Bass was still massaging his skull. I let you guys know how I like them once I get them. The site says it's expected to ship January 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back