bass adjuster circuit?
Sep 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

carmatic

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, as part of my efforts to solve the bass imbalance defect in my pair of IEM's, I am thinking of making a passive filter circuit consisting of resistors which linearly attenuates all frequencies, but with a low-pass inductor which allows the low frequencies to bypass the attenuation
here is the schematic on the Falstad circuit simulator https://www.falstad.com/circuit/cir...BkBRImg4MhHIZXHwVI1sDQATggXxSGAwFRLBQICpUUigA
It basically consists of 2 paths, one with a simple 50 ohm resistor, and the other with the 50 ohm resistor but also a 50 milihenry bass bypass inductor, as well as a 50ohm trimpot to adjust the proportions.
The 45 ohm resistance represents your headphone, earphone or IEM driver, and the 5 ohm resistance is there to give a low output impedance as well as ensure the current flow for the voltage drop across the resistors to cause the attenuation. Just to be clear, this represents the circuit for one channel, there will be 2 copies of the circuit , one for each channel.

According to the simulation, this circuit somehow has no reactance , the current is in phase with the voltage.Surely that's a good thing in terms of driving your drivers?
Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Attachments

• circuit-20200927-1006.png
    circuit-20200927-1006.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 2
Hello, as part of my efforts to solve the bass imbalance defect in my pair of IEM's, I am thinking of making a passive filter circuit consisting of resistors which linearly attenuates all frequencies, but with a low-pass inductor which allows the low frequencies to bypass the attenuation
here is the schematic on the Falstad circuit simulator https://www.falstad.com/circuit/cir...BkBRImg4MhHIZXHwVI1sDQATggXxSGAwFRLBQICpUUigA
It basically consists of 2 paths, one with a simple 50 ohm resistor, and the other with the 50 ohm resistor but also a 50 milihenry bass bypass inductor, as well as a 50ohm trimpot to adjust the proportions.
The 45 ohm resistance represents your headphone, earphone or IEM driver, and the 5 ohm resistance is there to give a low output impedance as well as ensure the current flow for the voltage drop across the resistors to cause the attenuation. Just to be clear, this represents the circuit for one channel, there will be 2 copies of the circuit , one for each channel.

According to the simulation, this circuit somehow has no reactance , the current is in phase with the voltage.Surely that's a good thing in terms of driving your drivers?
Has anyone tried anything like this before?
Well, there is Solderdude whom uses these hardware fixes to better the FR of many headphones. You should go to his website to find more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back