Basic way to stream Spotify to my stereo?
May 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

edgeworth

Head-Fier
I currently am running an Oppo 103 into an old school 2 channel audio only system with separate preamp and amp.  I realized a bit late that the 103 doesn't take push USB, so I only use it for physical discs or to stream media using foobar or the Ipad app.

However, i would also like to listen to Spotify as I have a premium account.  I don't consider Spotify sound to be high quality so I just want a basic way to do this.

I've tried using a cable from ipad to the preamp but the output is low and overall the hassle factor seems too great.  What's the cheapest basic way to do this?

Apple Express Plus optical cable plus a DAC with rca cables to my preamp?  If so, which DAC?  I don't want to spend a lot as I save my big money for my vinyl.

Thanks for any suggestions.

May 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 9
You can access Spotify , as well as many other audio/video sources, with a "WD TV Live" streamer for a little over $50 from Amazon.com. It has HDMI and RCA outputs to your stereo and TV. I use it for Netflix and Pandora and to playback music sored on an external HD. Good luck.

May 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I might be missing something but couldn't you just use the headphone/line out of your computer and be done with it? I know for the windows version there is a add on for Spotify called Equalify that adds a equalizer to Spotify as well as the ability to push Spotify sound to any audio output on the computer. There is also Fidelify that allows you to use asio4all/wasapi drivers.

May 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 9
  I might be missing something but couldn't you just use the headphone/line out of your computer and be done with it? I know for the windows version there is a add on for Spotify called Equalify that adds a equalizer to Spotify as well as the ability to push Spotify sound to any audio output on the computer. There is also Fidelify that allows you to use asio4all/wasapi drivers.

I sit rather far (12 to 15 feet) from the stereo set so a long cable from my laptop to the setup is a bit inconvenient.  I'd like to be able to stream it wirelessly from a laptop or ipad beside me that I can easily control. That's why I asked about Airport Express.  Won't it let me do that?

May 16, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 9
OP:  I don't know much about the WD TV Live so can't comment on that, but the Airport Express will absolutely allow you to do what you want.  The AE has a built in DAC, though many, including myself, would argue it's not that great.  The most cost effective way to do what you want would be to plug the AE directly into your preamp via analog with a cable like this: 

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

Then you would be using the AE's built-in DAC, and you would not need to purchase a separate one.  I do think the built-in DAC is a bit thin and harsh sounding, however, so even a cheap external DAC would be a decent upgrade.  I helped a friend set up a system and bought a FIIO D3 DAC ($40?), or you could go with the Schiiit Modi Optical that they just released ($100).  I'm sure others can chime in on many, many other sub $100 DACs.  If you go that route, then you will need the following cable instead of the one above:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

I'm just using Monoprice as an example because it's cheap.  

Either setup with an AE will give you great functionality.  I don't use Spotify but use Beats Music, and I love the Airplay interface.  

May 16, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Jamcast, a music server for Windows will let you do that.
It's not free but not that expensive. You can get a trial to test it.
It will be easily recognized by your Oppo as a DNLA device.

May 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 9
If you are comfortable not spending much money the generic little BT dongles you can get direct from eBay and Amazon are surprisingly good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2DP-Bluetooth-Audio-Music-HiFi-Receiver-Car-Radio-AUX-AMP-Speaker-iPhone-iPad-/350921520000

I've got several. It is very convenient to have a receiver taped to your regular headphones. Dual purpose quality 'phones on the cheap.

I also have a couple of other slightly more expensive, branded BT devices from the likes of Belkin & Sennheisser. There is surprisingly little SQ difference.

All these devices are superior to the built in functionality on my ASUS netbook and Antec BT speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back