Basic questions on tube amps (are they dangerous?)
Mar 31, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 20
For what it's worth.
If you look at spec sheets most tubes are rated to have a MAXIMUM surface temperature in the 120 C range (that's less than half the max rated temps for most discrete components). The heaters in the tubes reach much higher temperatures but they are conveniently insulated from the glass by a vacuum. A more normal surface temp for an operating tube is in the 50-65 C range unless you're pushing them hard.

This is warm but normally not hot enough to cause burns before you realize, "HEY! I think I'll let go of this because it's hot."

Tubes are located outside of the chassis in most designs so you don't have to worry about other components failing from overheat from the tubes also. Although they don't get much warmer (if at all) than typical discrete components driven in class-a mode I thought I'd mention it because component failure from heat was brought up.

As far as danger from voltage, well. They do run high voltage for the plates in the tubes (60-150Vdc for most preamp tubes) but they are no more dangerous than your CRT, your LCD display (which uses high voltage for the backlight), heck even your washing machine. If you don't take off covers and stick your fingers where they shouldn't be you'll be safe.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a tube amp sound much better than (or much different from) a regular solid-state amp (like the Headroom Micro amp)?

Depends what you want out of it. People who prefer tubes like their sound because the tubes ADD something to the music. If you simply want a naked presentation without any added flavor, go solid state. If you have no idea if you'd like a tube over a solid state amp, then you'll most likely be happy with either since you wont know if you're missing out on anything or not.

And while tubes have a large following here, keep in mind not everyone likes them.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who prefer tubes like their sound because the tubes ADD something to the music. If you simply want a naked presentation without any added flavor, go solid state.

I think this is somewhat misleading, and an over-generalization.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is somewhat misleading, and an over-generalization.

i agree, but i was trying to keep it simple

to reiterate, i think he'll be pleased with whatever he chooses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back