basic questions - Computer Audio with HD650
Nov 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

char0n

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have an extensive FLAC music collection, ripped from CD's with EAC and painstakingly tagged, categorized.  I listen through Foobar2000, up until a few days ago with M-Audio desktop monitor speakers.   I recently bought HD 650 headphones, and no amp, I didn't know enough to buy a amp yet, and I already know the headphones sound great, but that the computer can't drive the headphones with enough Juice.  I'm getting confused from reading about everything with Amps.  Can someone answer a couple basic questions for a newb to this forum?  I've looke around a bit, but it seems most of the posts on the amps are a bit above my experience.

When I get a amp with a DAC and a USB connection, I plug that USB connection into my computer, but how does my computer "know" how to send the sound through the USB to the amp?  Is the DAC on the amp acting like a sound card?  Are there drivers required on the computer?  what are a couple mid-range amp recommendations?  I don't need to spend $1000 right now.  

I've been looking at things like the Fiio E9, or just an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card for my pc.  What else should I be looking at or thinking about before I open my wallet further?

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 3
All USB devices do a thing called “device enumeration”.
The moment you plug it in, the PC knows what the properties are.
USB DACs are no exception to this rule.
In the Win sound panel or in your media player you can simple select it as the audio device to use.
It simply acts as an outboard soundcard.
No drivers are required as all OS support USB audio natively.
In case of Win you need a third party driver if you want to do USB audio > 96 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back