Basic question about Power Cables - Snake Oil or not ?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 26
Don’t tempt fate! As soon as some bright spark comes up with the idea of audiophile grade step up/down transformers and provides advertising revenue/perks to the right people and websites, then it will make a huge difference, maybe even a night and day difference because an audiophile grade transformer can of course be musical, raise veils, be sweet, add micro-details, etc. :gs1000smile:

G
Coming to a neighbourhood near you...apparently the sub-station's circuit breakers are filled with the oil of snakes and regularly maintained by small Irishmen!
1675637357838.png

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 26
They have added power filters/regulators to all the AC lines where I live to reduce spikes/surges in power. My regulatory equipment to protect my electrical equipment has now become redundant, hence removed.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 26
Not me, the power suuucks in rural New York. I had two blackouts last night, each lasted 20 minutes with a 30 minute gap in between. I battery backup and filter everything--the only other solution I can think of would be a whole house generator.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #19 of 26
Not me, the power suuucks in rural New York. I had two blackouts last night, each lasted 20 minutes with a 30 minute gap in between. I battery backup and filter everything--the only other solution I can think of would be a whole house generator.
I literally have a giant 300 pound power filter almost half the size of a refrigerator that just sits now unconnected. Probably good to sell, but hard to ship! It gets used as a table in the garage. We get black-outs but no more power-surges?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #20 of 26
I'll be over to pick it up on Tuesday.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #21 of 26
Feb 5, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 26
Feb 8, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #23 of 26
Speaking from a lot of experience, power cables do make a marked difference in audio quality whether you have a power conditioner or not. Besides aftermarket fuses, power cables are the most cost effective route to sonic improvement in a system on the electronics side. An audio system is an electrical system, and power is one of the most, if not the most crucial element.

Regarding regenerators and conditioners, they aren't so good that they remove the necessity for good cabling, and in many cases they can take away things as much as they give. These are things you really need to try out. Sometimes results are spectacular, and other times they give you more detail and less noise, but kill the punch and life of the music. Cables themselves don't typically have this risk. And even stuff like PS audio regenerators are sensitive both to the cabling to your components but the power cable going to the wall.

I'm personally knee deep in various power products, and I would laugh in the face of anyone who thinks they don't have an impact. At this point my system sounds nothing like it did with stock cables going into the wall. The cumulative difference is massive. It's a complete joke, and it tells you all you need to know that people who insist they don't do anything also have never tried a reputable brand power cable in earnest.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #24 of 26
So for the OP, on one side you’ve got audiophile marketing and the subset of audiophiles invested in it, with nothing other than fallacious arguments, while on the other side, you’ve got the remainder of the audiophile world, the entirely of the pro-audio (studio) world, numerous other “worlds” reliant on power/PSUs, plus all the electronic engineers, scientists and the objective/actual facts!

G

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #25 of 26
52E231F0-F7FD-4039-B9ED-3892D6BF7572.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back