basic question about 0404 usb
May 23, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
newb question:sorry for the rookie question,but i need help on this.Can anyone tell me what cable would i need to connect the TRS inputs on 0404 usb, to my headphone amp.there are so many different variations out there and i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be looking for.is there a cable that has TRS inputs on one side and stereo inputs on the other?if so what is it called.
thanxx

May 23, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 17
anyone??
frown.gif

May 23, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 17
Nine hours --and overnight in the US to boot-- and you're bumping? A little patience will serve you well in this forum. I know that if I had an answer for you (which I unfortunately don't), I'd be a bit turned off.

Just a word to the wise.

May 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nine hours --and overnight in the US to boot-- and you're bumping? A little patience will serve you well in this forum. I know that if I had an answer for you (which I unfortunately don't), I'd be a bit turned off.

Just a word to the wise.

didnt mean to offend anyone,sorry if i appear impatient .

May 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 17
I use TS to RCA adapters and RCA cables to connect to my NAD integrated amp which I use as a headphone amp and to drive stats. If you can find TS to RCA cables, that would be ideal. I use a mini to RCA to drive PC speakers.

May 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use TS to RCA adapters and RCA cables to connect to my NAD integrated amp which I use as a headphone amp and to drive stats. If you can find TS to RCA cables, that would be ideal. I use a mini to RCA to drive PC speakers.

thanks a million!!problem solved.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 17
I realize that this is a bit of hi-jacking the thread, but rather then start a new one, I figured I'd ask here.

Does the quality of the TRS-RCA adapter make a noticable difference, and if yes, can you recommend a good place to get them?

May 24, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exediron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize that this is a bit of hi-jacking the thread, but rather then start a new one, I figured I'd ask here.

Does the quality of the TRS-RCA adapter make a noticable difference, and if yes, can you recommend a good place to get them?

For the 0404 USB, you want TS to RCA. I made the same mistake you're making. TRS is stereo, TS and RCA are mono. TRS to RCA can only be used with the mini jack. After looking for TRS to RCA adapters for a week, I realized they don't exist, at least one TRS plug to one RCA jack. I bought my TS to RCA adapters from Guitar Center.

The reason I went this way was because I wanted to use the mini to connect to my computer speakers and the mono jacks to connect to my amp. Some people here would say not to use the adapters because it puts an extra connection in your signal path. Ideally, you should use TS to RCA cables and skip the adapter, but I couldn't find any locally, so I bought the adapters.

I'm eventually going to use them in the inputs of the 0404 USB when I rip my vinyl. It's the main reason I bought the 0404 USB.

May 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the 0404 USB, you want TS to RCA. I made the same mistake you're making. TRS is stereo, TS and RCA are mono. TRS to RCA can only be used with the mini jack. After looking for TRS to RCA adapters for a week, I realized they don't exist, at least one TRS plug to one RCA jack. I bought my TS to RCA adapters from Guitar Center.

The reason I went this way was because I wanted to use the mini to connect to my computer speakers and the mono jacks to connect to my amp. Some people here would say not to use the adapters because it puts an extra connection in your signal path. Ideally, you should use TS to RCA cables and skip the adapter, but I couldn't find any locally, so I bought the adapters.

I'm eventually going to use them in the inputs of the 0404 USB when I rip my vinyl. It's the main reason I bought the 0404 USB.

hmm..so if i understand correct,the ideal setup would be to use TS to RCA cables as opposed to using adapters.Would using adapters degrade sq?

May 24, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 17
IMO, they won't if they're good adapters. I use headphone adapters all the time. At home I only have 1/4 jacks, so I need an adapters for my headphones with 1/8 jacks. At work, my amp has a 1/8 inch jack, so I need adapters since most of my headphones have 1/4 inch jacks.

Quite a few people here will disagree with me, especially those who hang out in the cable forum. Of course some of them spend more on a single cable than I've spent on all of my equipment, and I have 30 headphones.

May 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, to continue the hijacking process, I've got a question too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm planning to get a laptop and was wondering: does the E-MU 0404 acts as an amp/soundcard/dac? In other words, if all I had was a laptop, headphones, and the 0404, would I need to buy an additional soundcard and headphone amp? What specifically does the 0404 contribute?

There is an enormous difference especially in bass presence between my HD-25 headphones hooked straight into my ipod vs. ipod-->stereo receiver-->headphones and I'm hoping an 0404 would be all I need in my laptop setup.

May 28, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 17
it works like a charm! it basically has 2 outputs, an integrated headphone amp, and microphone inputs too. not to mention you can use usb, optical, or coaxial. and it costs ~$150

that's what i call versatile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back