Basic PMP - Sony Vs. Sansa
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chhotemia

New Head-Fier
interested in buying a PMP.. looked for them and found many variations. i liked Sony NWZ-B172F (available in 2 GB & 4GB variations).
suggestions for them please. thought of Sony because of quality sound capability in sony equipments.

got suggestions to get Sansa Clip+, Sandisk Sansa Fuze+8GB, Clip Zip etc.

I am not considering Video capabilities or the extra memory space. i will also not be playing any games in it.

my question - is the audio capabilities of Sandisk sansa players better than the Sony one?

someone said, the Sony Walkman when used with portable amps FiiO E11 through its hp out, had sounded rubbish but Sansa did not.

One more question - do i need any portable amp if i have either sony or sansa pmp?

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
interested in buying a PMP.. looked for them and found many variations. i liked Sony NWZ-B172F (available in 2 GB & 4GB variations).
suggestions for them please. thought of Sony because of quality sound capability in sony equipments.

Manufacturer history is pretty much irrelevant to the quality of these products: their core intellectual property usually comes on either one or two key chips that neither Sony nor Sansa will have designed or manufactured. The Sansa Clip is one of the best sounding players at any price, it plays a much wider range of file types than the Sony (which may or may not matter to you) and unlike the Sony it has a slot for a memory expansion card - 32GB cards to fit the slot are as little as $20. For me, this last factor would be decisive - why have a 4GB player when you can have a +32GB one? Or even a 64GB player if you are willing to pay more for a memory card (and reformat it to FAT32.) If this doesn't matter to you then the Sony becomes much more attractive, although I'm unaware of anything it actually does better than the Clip.

The Clip won't need an amp unless you try driving pretty damn unusual headphones with it; the Sony should be fine with most things too. $20 Phillips SHE3850 iems are excellent, or if you want actual headphones then the $200 HD25-1-ii is a classic and gets on very well with the Clip.

I'd avoid the current model Fuze: the trackpad has a reputation for being a pain to use: if audio is all you care about I'd suggest getting a 2GB Clip+ and sticking a 32GB micro sd card in it and buying some nice iems/headphones.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 5
tyvm friend. that is awesome useful info. i will now get clip+. hope earphones supplied with it are good. thanks once again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
tyvm friend. that is awesome useful info. i will now get clip+. hope earphones supplied with it are good. thanks once again.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think they vary according to some algorithm no one has ever decoded. But those she3580/3590 are $15 or less on ebay, and I preferred mind to my $150 Ety HF5s. Until my cat predated upon. Oh well...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=she3580&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=she3590&_sacat=0

If you're willing to spend more money then in your shoes I'd try the new Audio Technica ATH CNK50 - it's a microdriver iem with very good review.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

The stock Clip+ earbuds are pretty awful. Pick up some cheap IEMs-Take a look at Monoprice 8320. There is a several hundred page long thread on here titled "The $7.11 Club" about how awesome they are. Under $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back