basic mp3 player - sansa or creative or ?
Feb 4, 2008 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jon_m

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen a couple of MP3 players on amazon (to replace a dying Archos). Sandisk and Creative both well-priced, look neat and let me drag and drop files (I think):
Amazon.co.uk: Creative Muvo T100 2GB MP3 Player: Amazon.co.uk:
Amazon.co.uk: SanDisk Sansa Express 2Gb MP3 Player: Electronics & Photo: SanDisk

Any thoughts what those are like for sound quality (to listen with ety er6 and senny mx300 earphones)? And anyone know if they have line-in for recording?

Anything else I should consider?

I've seen this too
Amazon.co.uk: SanDisk Sansa m250 2Gb MP3 Player: Amazon.co.uk:: Sandisk

would prefer with a built-in battery, but could use the above sansa if has better sound etc?

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 14
The Sansa Express does have excellent sound quality. It's one of the best players in this regard.

I do not know a whole lot about this particular creative device but I had a listen to a number of them and not a single had what I would describe as good sound quality. They were all colored with an overemphasized mid-range and a real lack of bass.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 14
that's good to know re. sound quality
biggrin.gif
One more thing - I know the Sansa has mic build in for voice recording...you don't know if it allows a line in to record off an external mic?

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by imported_jon_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's good to know re. sound quality
biggrin.gif
One more thing - I know the Sansa has mic build in for voice recording...you don't know if it allows a line in to record off an external mic?

Yes it can record voice. I do not recall seeing anything related to line-in functionality in this device.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 14
thanks. Checked the online manual - no line-in... I don't suppose anyone has tried the mic in the sansa express - good enough for lecture recordings?

Anyway, looks like the Sansa may be the one to go for - assuming mic is usable... Not that I'm being demanding - wanting good recording, SQ etc for about 1/10 of what my MD recorder cost a while back
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 14
voice recording on eXXX series and CXX was lo-fi I think it only records at 22 kHz. Mic also is not sensitive enough. Sansa express might be different, who knows?

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 14
express with latest firmware takes microsdhc cards. that might be a big plus for some people

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 14
Re. the Clip - that's more expensive here than the Express. You get all the best deals in the US
frown.gif

thanks - I saw that re. the cards. Could be useful to transfer recordings, if the quality makes it worthwhile...

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Amazon say I can return the player if the voice recorder's lousy, so I ended up ordering the sansa express 1gb - Amazon.co.uk: Sansa Express 1Gb MP3 Player: Electronics & Photo: SanDisk

I decided an FM tuner would be better than the extra 1gb (2gb with FM out of stock
frown.gif
) I guess I can add microsd card for more memory at a later point, anyway. Know if there's any plans for a 16gb card - now that would be nice
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 14
hey mr. imported jon_m, please don't just take people's word for it with regard to sq. everyone has her own opinions on sq that may be right or wrong with respect to actual hardware capabilities.

however, sigseg has done homework rather than just saying the bass. he can compare it to other players that are considered to be very good and show you just how much better it actually is. he may have joined just one year ago, but he brings much experience or at least sound thinking to this forum of portable which is a dog of just opinion and wishwash. cheers, take a listen if you can but if not, know that sansa will be good. while i have not heard personally the sansa, i have heard and owned the shuffle which was based on the same chipset and know how it sounds. wonderful.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 14
the only thing that would stop me from getting it is if rockbox does not come available for it. i own the nice sony that sig can also tell you sounds wonderful and does (with some proof of the bass performance). i have been used to ipod since october and the wonderful gapless playback. i cannot go back to not having that function, nor aac.

even a cheap player for me must have this. the shuffle despite how lovely it sounded was hampered by that fact. cheers and i hope you enjoy it.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 14
Right - the good news being I really like the player
biggrin.gif
Sound quality v good - about the only thing I've found that doesn't hiss through my ety earphones...and lovely clear sound (better EQ would be nice, but that's being v picky
smily_headphones1.gif
). Voice recorder not the loudest, but clear enough and works OK. Nice, neat design, too.

The bad news - amazon sent me the wrong model
frown.gif
Have returned to get a 2gb model (they sent me 1gb with no radio, and it seems the ones inc. radio are getting scarce...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back