Basic DAP
Dec 28, 2019 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

strummsteel

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for a basic DAP that can handle streaming services especially Amazon Music HD.

i would output to a DAC/Amp so as long as it can handle streaming and offline files it should be enough.

cheaper and more practical suggestions please.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 10
If you’re using an offboard DAC...your phone?

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Nope, i have a separate dac xduoo xd05 plus, i dont want to use my phone but a separate dedicated dap which ideally would be cheap and handle streaming and offline files passing its output to my aforementioned dac/amp.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 10
Honestly I’d think any Android based DAP should work, hooked up via a USB OTG cable. iBasso supports Amazon music. But since all you’re using the DAP for is selecting files and as a digital transport (you don’t use the DAC or Amp portion) I don’t see any advantage over a cheap android phone that will likely have much better networking, screen than most dedicated DAPs. Also, unthinkable the DAC and amp section on something like the DX160 is better than on your xDuoo. All android devices provide ample choice of player apps. Or do you want a tiny tiny player?

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks! I should probably just get a USB C Android Phone with Expandable storage right? Might actually end up to be cheaper. All audio gets sent using usb to my dac/amp which means its just a plain transport.

Dec 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Bad news, i found an old samsung j7 and connected it via otg usb cable and it only outputs 24/48 as per amazon hd info.

my iphone outputs at 24/192.

I think that's an android limitation, keep forgetting that. Some DAPs (iBasso's I believe, and Hiby's R5 at least) bypass it, and iOS doesn't have the limitation. I believe USB Audio Player Pro (player app, availalble from the Play store) does it as well but don't know which streaming services it is compatible with...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Thank you. UAPP does not support Amazon Music HD, stuck with my iphone for now.

Come to think about it, Apple losing the headphone jack isnt so bad as its dac options are not hampered compared to android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back