Bartok - String Quartets
Feb 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tim_j_thomas

100+ Head-Fier
For the classical experts on head-fi I have a question. From a recommendation here on head-fi, I picked up Bartok's String Quartets played by the Emerson String Quartet a little over a year ago.

Upon first hearing the work, I absolutely hated it, and struggled to get all the way through it. I've since listened to it (sometimes partially but mostly in its entirety) several times since.

Well, this evening I listened again to the first quartet and I'm not sure if it was the particular day, the stars in alignment, or perhaps my musical tastes are maturing but I actually enjoyed it.

So has anyone else experienced this with Bartok's Quartets, or is it just me? Any other similar experiences?

I wonder if given more time, I'll come to enjoy them even more.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 15
Bartok's String Quartets are absolutely brilliant; I consider them among the best to be ever written, right on par with Beethoven's late quartets. I find his quartets to be intelligent, mystical, and full of rhythmic beauty. Similar to yourself, it took repeated listening for me to fully realize the genius of his quartets.

The Emerson's Bartok is mindblowing
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 15
This delayed appreciation effect is well-known to classical listeners. For YEARS, the only Bartok I liked was the Concerto for Orchestra, and the opera Bluebeard. I hated the quartets, the piano concertos, Miraculous Mandarin -- all of it. Then, one day, just like you, the clouds were lifted, the sun came out and the quartets made sense, and I realized that they weren't the random scribblings of a terrible composer, but there was a genius behind them.

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me, and of really popular and famous works: Sibelius 7th, Mahler symphonies 1, 2, 3, 4, 8. Beethoven 9th, Elgar 2nd, Brahms symphonies-- all of them! Simpson symphonies -- all of them, too.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 15
The best set of quartets written last century by far - loved them as a teenager, and still do many decades on. The Emerson version is good but the Takacs manages to be even better and a little more in touch with the Hungarian elements in the quartets. Favorite for me remains 4, although I suppose 3 is the best of them.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_j_thomas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upon first hearing the work, I absolutely hated it, and struggled to get all the way through it.

This is the same as me! But I have continued to hate it. I wonder if it's because I have the ABQ version.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 15
I have had a different, almost opposite, experience with Bartok Quartets: as a teenager I absolutely loved them, thinking they were head and shoulders above Beethoven's not to mention sissy stuff like Haydn or Brahms
rolleyes.gif

Now I find myself admiring them (especially the celebrated third) more than truly enjoying them. I guess my ability to concentrate on "tough" music is slowly vanishing...

My favourite version, was, and to a large extent still is the 1981 Tokio Quartet recording with DG.
[EDIT]
1030244_170x170.jpg

This, as I've just discovered looking it up on Gramophile, is not the same recording as the 1994 RCA
21PSSRXSN7L._AA130_.jpg
Looks like the DG recording is hard to find (but can be heard for free on rhapsody!) so I better hang on to my DG LPs...
[/EDIT]
Their playing is vibrant, not quite as fierce as the Emersons but the Tokyos are not afraid of expressing emotions where required, like in the sixth quartet, or your current favourite the first. The best recording of the first quartet I have heard is the 1954 Vegh Quartet. It is good quality mono (a bit overprocessed, but very quiet) and Sandor Vegh and co are very expressive, and they let the music dance where appropriate. I read that their second cycle (recorded in the '70s) is even better but I've never found it for a reasonable prince. A search on amazon showed up this mid-priced release of the 1st and 2nd
31WWH0E355L._AA240_.jpg

which I added to my cart (thanks for helping me spend more money
wink.gif
)

BTW did I mention that the '54 complete string quartets can be downloaded (legally, it seems) for 3 Euro?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_j_thomas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the classical experts on head-fi I have a question. From a recommendation here on head-fi, I picked up Bartok's String Quartets played by the Emerson String Quartet a little over a year ago.

Upon first hearing the work, I absolutely hated it, and struggled to get all the way through it. I've since listened to it (sometimes partially but mostly in its entirety) several times since.

Well, this evening I listened again to the first quartet and I'm not sure if it was the particular day, the stars in alignment, or perhaps my musical tastes are maturing but I actually enjoyed it.

So has anyone else experienced this with Bartok's Quartets, or is it just me? Any other similar experiences?

I wonder if given more time, I'll come to enjoy them even more.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 15
Takacs and Emersons are the best sets, IMO. Takacs get more of the hungarian flavor, but the Emerson's are more starkly modern. I love this music, it gets closer to expressing anxiety and nervous energy (in many parts) than almost anything I can think of.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Great thread. Another favorite is the early Juilliard recording from 1963 (not the so much the later ones).

Like with other Bartok, the quartets can be tough and astringent to the ear early on, but the irresistible energy and colorful textures make the music endlessly fascinating.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the same as me! But I have continued to hate it. I wonder if it's because I have the ABQ version.

Alban Berg Quartett's version is interesting in that it is very lyrical -- and this is from the ABQ who is not renowned for being lyrical. A reviewer in amazon.com says it sounds like the Vienna Phil playing Bartok, and I think that's right. What's more, their lyrical playing still leaves Bartok's idioms intact -- the angularity, the drive, the grotesque. If you can only keep one version of the string quartet, ABQ may not be your choice; but if you're curious about different expression possibilities, ABQ's version deserves to be heard.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 15
My first encounter with Bartok's string quartets last year at a music festival. I was playing in a group that had about 2 & 1/2 weeks to learn and get to performance level all of the 3rd string quartet. The first 6-7 times I listened to the recording (while trying to follow my part) were absolutely excruciating; I remember being totally dumbfounded and loathing the piece immensely. Needless to say (and after many rehearsals and coachings), it's now become one of my all-time favorite works.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 15
I just can't imagine dipping into the Bartok pool before I buy a lot of other recordings. His compositions just don't sit in my brain well, and it goes without saying I've given him repeated listenings over the years. There are just so many CDs I'll reach for before his work. I'm not trolling, it's still an interesting thread. I'm always curious about what others are listening to on the forum and their interpretations.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Try his piano concerto's, they are a good lead in to his more difficult work. It's like spicy food - may not appeal at first, but once you acquire a taste for it, there's nothing else quite like it.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 15
I loved the string quartets upon first listen, and I continue to do so. But I've only heard the recording by the Vertavo string quartet (all-female, from Norway)... has anyone else heard it? If so, could you comment on how it compares to some of the others mentioned in this thread?

Info about the recording, and a few reviews here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back