Baroness - Blue Album
Dec 10, 2009 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
ok so as i type this i'm giving this album another listen and i can't help but feel disappointed in what i hear. the red album grabbed me from the first listen and since then i've played it many times, never growing tired of it. my buddy went to go see them the other night (i had finals
mad.gif
) and picked me up a copy. needless to say i was really really looking forward to this release. i don't know though, i find the songs pretty boring. they just sound like some generic struggling metal band. and this is baroness i'm talking about! does anybody else feel this way towards this latest release? maybe it'll grow on me, but ehh i'm about to switch this disc out. the artwork is siiiick though. baizley is amazing.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 17
ahhh damn you, green! if only they came around a week later.

yea i forgot to mention that the record has gotten a lot of really positive reviews so i guess that's what prompted me to post in the first place.... was just curious to see how others thought. happy to see someone in agreement with me though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 17
Having seen Baroness live several weeks ago, the new album is nowhere near a disappointment to me.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 17
When I saw them a couple of months ago before Blue came they out still played mostly stuff from the Red Album. There were a few songs I didn't recognize, but I'm not sure if they were new or old because I didn't have either First & Second or the Blue Record (I've since gotten both). Anyway, I like the Blue Record, though it had to grow on me a bit. There's definitely some magic in the Red Album that's missing on the Blue Record, but it has it's own magic, too.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 17
I saw them on AMG editor choice list, and decided to give a try, but probably I won`t,

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 17
man after a 3rd listen to it in the car today, i'm officially disappointed. i guess the highlight of the blue album would be the first actual song, "the sweetest curse" which i thought was ok. the chorus on that song pretty good. but after that the whole album just falls apart in my opinion. when the song "a horse called golgotha" begins, i think that this song may kind of redeem itself as it starts off pretty good but then the vocals come in and totally kills it. actually i think the vocals on the entire album are pretty weak, i liked it much more on the previous albums. i dunno, the whole album comes off as just lazy to me, like those albums that bands release just to fulfill contracts with their labels. there's 3 or 4 instrumental songs, 2 are like intros/outros which are just meh to me. and what's with that track "Black powder orchard"? its like a minute of nothing. it would've been better if they went somewhere with that, but then it just ends. the instrumental track on the red album ""Cockroach en Fleur" is very dynamic and creative and serves as a great bridge into "wanderlust".

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 17
Saw Baroness Friday night and it was great! They played stuff from all of their albums, and now I have to agree with Sabrage, hearing the Blue Album stuff live changed my mind about the word 'disappointment'.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 17
To clarify: Baroness isn't just "better live", they are quite possibly the best live act I've ever seen.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 17
The Blue Album hasnt impressed me as much as the Red Album, but i just cant get enough of "The Gnashing". The build up to the end is orgasmic.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To clarify: Baroness isn't just "better live", they are quite possibly the best live act I've ever seen.

I can't quite go that far, but they are very, very good live. Definitely one of the best. A lot of energy, and something about their music just works for it. I couldn't get my friend into the Red Album until he saw them open for Opeth, then he was a changed man. I hope they return soon.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 17
Perhaps not, but their act combined with Earthless (and unfortunately I missed Gaza but I hear they were awesome) made for one of the most fun concerts I've ever attended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back