"Bargain Hunt" on BBC
Aug 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Laptopia

500+ Head-Fier
Don't make fun (on second thought, go ahead), but we like a UK TV show called Bargain Hunt. It's a game show, really, in which two pairs of contestants are provided a sum of money with which to buy antiques at a flea market, and then see their value realized at an actual auction. The team who makes the most, wins.

Yes, it's daytime British TV, and the host, David Dickinson is orange, but we found both him and the show overall to be very entertaining.

We dropped "pay TV" some time ago, and now receive digital over-the-air broadcasts via a UHF antenna and rotator we installed on the roof. Bargain Hunt is the only show we miss.

We have checked Amazon UK--no Bargain Hunt DVDs have apparently been made, so none for sale. We have also checked the torrents--a few Bargain Hunt shows appear there, but there are no seeders, ever. BBC America still runs the show, but we have no plans to return to subscription TV programming, at least not for one show.

Might any UK Head-Fiers reading this know of a source for Bargain Hunt episodes? If you happen to have or know someone with a drive full of these shows, I'm buying. Any Americans with BBC America who might be able to assist would also be generously remunerated.

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 12
I doubt anyone is going to have them (I don't think they sell DVDs) but I do have a TV Tuner and a generous internet connection - I'll see what I can do.
EDIT: The BBC iPlayer has them - there should be ways around it's restrictions to other countries by using a proxy server.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Daniel, thanks--will check it out. I have experimented with TOR in the past & found it unusably slow from here. Any proxy server recommendations?

If that doesn't work, again, I will eagerly reimburse for time & trouble if it's not a major PITA to record.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 12
I like Bargain Hunt as well. I find it to be quite entertaining and educational.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 12
It seems that BBC America is the only place for these shows. If you like Bargain Hunt, check out the original " Antiques Roadshow" and " Cash in the Attic". I find them all entertaining.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that BBC America is the only place for these shows. If you like Bargain Hunt, check out the original " Antiques Roadshow" and " Cash in the Attic". I find them all entertaining.

We like all of these, as a matter of fact. If BBC America had an a la carte subscription plan, we would subscribe.

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Linthicum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We like all of these, as a matter of fact. If BBC America had an a la carte subscription plan, we would subscribe.

Yeah, I wish that too...

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Love the show...don't like the host. It's amazing how the experts they are assigned give such terrible advice. I also love top gear and the hotel inspector.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the show...don't like the host. It's amazing how the experts they are assigned give such terrible advice. I also love top gear and the hotel inspector.

For whatever reason I found David Dickinson delightfully odd. He seemed like a really nice guy, always enthusiastic. I checked him out on Wikipedia, and he did a few years in Strangeways when he was younger. Forgiven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back