Bargain Chinese tube headphone amp
Mar 30, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 31, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 8
OK, I'll admit to having one of these, and liking it. It works especially well with W-100's. It is fairly warm and tubey. I bought mine from Hirsch who did an amazing job of tubing it. One thing is that it runs HOT. I mean HOT. I mean heat the room HOT.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1
OK, I'll admit to having one of these, and liking it. It works especially well with W-100's. It is fairly warm and tubey. I bought mine from Hirsch who did an amazing job of tubing it. One thing is that it runs HOT. I mean HOT. I mean heat the room HOT.

Is it finicky with tube bias?... when it comes time to re-tube?

The W100... thats a low impedence can right? Is it noisey with lower impedence loads?

Garrett

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I had a short listen to it at a local store. It was tubish, but not over the top.
I did notice a bit of hum. Also it was pretty dynamic, I think it's best quality

I tried it akg 271S and the AKG 701s

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1

HOT is good!

Class A amplification.

Have you tried Philips JAN 6922 from the 80s?

Inexpensive tubes which are not too euphonic - more detail and sharper tone imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back