Barbeque decisions
Apr 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Hi all,

I am going to be buying a new barbeque- and we've narrowed the decision down to two different options- either the Weber Q-220, or the Weber Performer. The Weber Q-220 is their mid sized portable grill, which will suit us well. We know we'll be moving in about two years, so it won't be a big pain to move- and we'll want to keep it even when we get a larger grill for use when going to the beach- since it's a portable. It also is large enough for our barbequing needs, and it has a really good reputation. To get the Q-220, the stand, the attachment to use 20 lb tanks, and the tank will cost about $300. The other option is the Weber Performer, which uses a small propane burner to start charcoal briquettes burning without the use of lighter fluid. IT has the advantage of being charcoal, and therefore a tastier barbeque, and being able to be started much more easily than a typical charcoal grill, which means if on a Wednesday night we decide we want to grill up some burgers, it isn't a lot of work to get it started like a typical charcoal grill is. It costs about $350.

We will not be grilling a lot of steaks- mostly burgers, chicken breasts, chicken wings, sausages, and shishkebobs. I've never had a charcoal grill before, and I really like the idea of the charcoal grill, but I still think that this may require more work to use, and so I may end up using it less. It's also a lot less portable.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Brad

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 21
I switched to charcoal three or four years ago when my propane bbq's elementals wore out and I haven't looked back. To me the two things I don't like about the charcoal is cooking things that take time like potatoes, mushrooms and onions in a aluminum dish (it is much easier with propane to adjust the temperature) and it takes 15 - 20 minutes for the charcoal to get hot enough to bbq.

I prefer the hardwood lump charcoal to the Kingsford briquettes and also I use the barbecue wood chips (mesquite or hickory) that you soak in water for half an hour so they burn slower (about a handful in a tinfoil packet with some holes poked in it) for smokey flavour. I use a barbecue chimney that uses newspaper in the bottom to start the charcoal going and it works well. If I was buying a new one this is the one I would get (green egg) but the ones you are looking seem fine and I know a few people that have Weber and they are happy campers.

Good luck.

Here's a link to the green egg bbq:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/bi...ing-fi-367639/

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 21
I always use a charcoal grill. And I use wood chips, wood chunks and even fire wood logs on occasions. The real smoke flavor can be a great enhancer. Also remember that the quality of the meat is important too. Try to buy the best quality meat around. It makes a difference. Lastly, meats high in fat will give the best flavor. Go for the fatty cuts.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 21
Charcoal. It just makes barbecues more enjoyable.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched to charcoal three or four years ago when my propane bbq's elementals wore out and I haven't looked back. To me the two things I don't like about the charcoal is cooking things that take time like potatoes, mushrooms and onions in a aluminum dish (it is much easier with propane to adjust the temperature) and it takes 15 - 20 minutes for the charcoal to get hot enough to bbq.

I prefer the hardwood lump charcoal to the Kingsford briquettes and also I use the barbecue wood chips (mesquite or hickory) that you soak in water for half an hour so they burn slower (about a handful in a tinfoil packet with some holes poked in it) for smokey flavour. I use a barbecue chimney that uses newspaper in the bottom to start the charcoal going and it works well. If I was buying a new one this is the one I would get (green egg) but the ones you are looking seem fine and I know a few people that have Weber and they are happy campers.

Good luck.

Here's a link to the green egg bbq:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/bi...ing-fi-367639/

x2 on the Egg.

I have a medium size Big Green Egg. I'll never use another grill. I can't stand propane grills now. Very adjustable heat settings, and you can use it as a smoker. The lump charcoal that you use with it gives everything a great flavor.

Granted, it is a little bit more work than a propane grill, but it is so worth it. It doesn't dry out meat like a propane grill does. Works great for making pizzas with too.

But, given your choices, I would go for the Weber charcoal grill you're thinking about
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 21
I don't know much about BBQ's, but it seems you have to make a decision many people do around here:

1) Home rig with nice quality (but only at HOME)

2) Portable rig with lesser quality (but can go ANYWHERE)

The trend seems to be that everyone starts portable and sooner or later go for the big guns...
wink_face.gif

Or you could think of the two BBQ's as one being SS and the other Tubes (charcoal being tubes, of course!).

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Go Charcoal. Much better. You can do alot with charcoal and wood chips and a bucket of water. The BBQ will be so much better. Take it from a Head-fier who competes in BBQ competitions.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 21
Another vote for charcoal. I was so happy when they finally started importing Weber grills to Finland that I bought one right away. It's kind of like buying Grados outside the USA, though. I probably paid about 3-4 times what it would cost you to get the same thing.

The design of the Weber charcoal grills has changed somewhat over the years as far as the racks are concerned (there are now adjustable dividers), making it possible to slow cook things like fish, vegetables, etc. much better than in the past. My results have been very good and consistent with the Weber. My wife even eats the food without giving me sympathetic looks across the table.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 21
I've used the Q220 as a non-portable bbq at my balcony the last two years, and I'm very happy with it. It's simple and it works - and it's easily big enough for 4-6 people.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 21
I have the Performer, and it has worked great! Starting isn't really a hassle, it just takes 10 minutes for the coals to work up, then you turn off the propane. The flavor is far and away superior to propane. Plus it's easy to break down and take places. I took it to a Brewer's game once, and it collapsed easily into my car.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 21
I'd always go with charcoal, for all the reasons described above.

Seconded also is the reccomendation for a charcoal chimney. They are magnificent gadgets. We don't use ours with newspaper, just pour in the light from the bottom with a firelighter or two and it's ready twice as quick just lighting it flat. I tend to wait until you're nearly ready for food before adding any wood-chips, otherwise all the delicious smoke goes into delicately flavouring your eyes as you play with lighting it, rather than into the meat.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 21
Get the Q-220 now. As it suits your needs. Beach , Moving etc... You will get a good amount of work out of it.

Then when you move. Buy yourself a nice webber one touch gold. And get a charcoal chimney , 2 charcoal holders. You will be able to a ton of bbq'ing, smoking and grilling with that combo. I have a one touch gold for about 3 years now. Love it. Going to do steaks tonight on it. Smoked with pecan and hickory wood. 1 l of water in a container to keep everything moist. Indirect heat.
smily_headphones1.gif
Tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back