Banzai Cmoy mods
Apr 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #17 of 31
i have this , i need help wiring it.. yeah i know its a switch but I didnt think that would be such a big deal.. when i tested it on the wallwart, it knew which contacts had power.. but when when i soldered it up and than plugged it in, it doesnt power them up. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
I've checked the solder connections and they are ok. The jumpers don't seem to have any effect, as I've removed them and also alternated them and there was no noticeable effects to my ears. 
The only thing I noticed was that when I put the source volume very low and I have to crank the cmoy volume I don't seem to notice much channel imbalance, I can still hear a small difference but it is negligible.

Seems like just a (relatively) bad potentiometer to me.  That's just the way cheap volume pots are:  imbalanced, particularly at low settings.  Some brands and models are much worse on average than others, and within a model, different samples are worse than others.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 31
i figured it out, was just some contacts.. also i screwed up 2 of the circuit board contacts resoldering one of the caps. so i just bridged the nearest contact on the circuit accordingly, seems fine. 

Is a burn in usually required? I noticed there wouldnt be volume a few times till i cranked the volume then it would come on . 

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 31
The reason I want to go with 24v dc adapter is because that is what was suggested for this charging system http://www.head-fi.org/t/185377/trickle-chargers
I built that and have it all setup, I am just waiting on the 9v batteries,

I have a 12v and 24v wallwart, currently plugged into the 12v right now with no batteries plugged in.

I do have a problem though, after a few minutes of music, the sound cuts off.. til i turn it off and on again, then it works for another few minutes. Any ideas?

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #21 of 31
ok cool i figured it out, when on the 24v power adapter, each capacitor is seeing 11.9 volts... with the 12v power adapter, it was seeing about 5 volts each capacitor.. So I am in the safe range for the caps, and has enough to charge 2 9v. 

Should I add a virtual ground? 

The charging circuit is covered in tape, the battery terminals are covered in tape so they don't short on the case til i get batteries. had to trim some of the top lid for it to close. 

Im wondering if the potentiometer is potentially bad since I do get a sound cut off after a few minutes here and there (also sound imbalance) that goes away after a turn off/on . 

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #22 of 31
A few pictures of my built, atm I'm considering whether I should replace the volume pot if I do that I'll move the LED beside the volume pot for a better layout, still have to punch a hole for the on/off switch but it is neat as it is, better than having the lever sticking out (not very convenient I know).

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
did you change the capacitors? 

The original Elna capacitors were never delivered with my kit, the thing is I did not check the parts properly and only realised 6 months after when I actually got the chance to put it together. I sent an email to Electric Sumo but they never even bothered to reply. So I went and bought the a generic one at Jcar, got whatever they had available of the shelf.

I did swap the opamp since the JRC4560 that came with the Banzai cMoy was way too boomy and bassy for my, the JRC4556 is just a perfect fit in my opinion.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 31
just bought a new can of altoids, I want to redo the case (two 9v batteries did not fit because I mounted the board at an angle wrong to the can). What are the best ways to do holes in it?? I know a hole puncher is the way to go, how about a dremel tool with a carbide tip? 

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #29 of 31
Speaking as an expert in punching holes in altoids tins :)

Just use the hole punch and ream or file out the holes to size, drills and dremels are very hard to use accuratly, as the tin is super thin and tears very easily

cheers
FRED

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Speaking as an expert in punching holes in altoids tins :)

Just use the hole punch and ream or file out the holes to size, drills and dremels are very hard to use accuratly, as the tin is super thin and tears very easily

cheers
FRED

FRED is spot on, best thing to use is the one hole puncher, you can cut around the hole if you need to increase its size or use different sizes hole punchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back