Bantam DAC - Noise issue
Mar 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tubesmuggler

New Head-Fier
I have what I think is a properly assembled Bantam DAC with upgrade PS filter cap. It is extremely noisy though. Is this a sign of a build error or is this common with USB powered DACs? My PC seems fine and recognized it correctly. I've played it for a couple hours but the noise is bad. The noise is definitely PC noises. Whenever I slide the mouse across the screen additional noises are heard.

My "system" is my PC > Bantam DAC > Soha II.

The only other thing I noticed is that the output is much lower than any CD player I've tried into the amp. But I think this noise problem has to be PS related.

Any ideas?

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubesmuggler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have what I think is a properly assembled Bantam DAC with upgrade PS filter cap. It is extremely noisy though. Is this a sign of a build error or is this common with USB powered DACs? My PC seems fine and recognized it correctly. I've played it for a couple hours but the noise is bad. The noise is definitely PC noises. Whenever I slide the mouse across the screen additional noises are heard.

My "system" is my PC > Bantam DAC > Soha II.

The only other thing I noticed is that the output is much lower than any CD player I've tried into the amp. But I think this noise problem has to be PS related.

Any ideas?

I think we need to see some pics of the Bantam's wiring. The Bantam has no particular susceptibility to interference, especially from a PC - since that's what it's designed to plug into. I've used wireless mice and keyboards for years and not had issues with this or the AlienDAC before it. ( A closeby cellular or wireless telephone will play havoc with one - and your amp, too, though.)

This is definitely not normal. It's possible the ground wires on the output have come loose or are making an intermittent connection.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Could be a loose leg on the DAC chip, or an intermittent short there. If there's going to be a mistake on the board somewhere it's most likely there (at least in my failed BantamDAC build experience).

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 7
why don't you try it on another computer and see if the problem exists.

Would be an easy way to tell if it's a build error...

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks guys. Nullstring I'll try a different PC tonight.

I'm very new to this and don't know if I'm really setting up my "system" right. I found Analog Devices software on my PC called SoundMAX. I never noticed it before, but I've never really looked. Anyway, I noticed that it's Master Volume was set low so I maxed that and naturally the signal coming from the DAC is no longer quieter than a CD source. As well, now that I set the pot on the amp lower, the PC noises are much less noticeable. They are still there, but now can't be heard while playing music. Still, if there is no music and the volume is increased the PC noise is awful.

My goal is to use Foobar to play FLAC's, into the BantamDAC, into the SohaII

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 7
I had the exact same problem with the y2 Dac I built, solved the issue using an external regualted power supply. Must be a ground loop using the usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back