Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 2
Apr 26, 2002 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leon

500+ Head-Fier
I didn't see anything about this thing on the official website (probably missed something?), and it seems to be new to head-fi, so here...

http://www.bo-akasaka.com/new/beosound2/02.htm

MP3/WMA/AAC format
comes with 128MB SD card
Li-ion battery, quoted 10-hour playback
70mm diameter, 20mm thick, 95g
Mac not supported, as per usual with B&O
frown.gif

This store is taking pre-orders... and I'm wondering about that interface right now. And I like the SD card thing... Panasonic has stopped taking orders for 256/512MB cards until June because they're in extreme short supply
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 11
Wow. It takes an SD card--WHERE??
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 27, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 11
To make a rather lengthy story brief, I used to be a serious B&O fanatic, and actually, my uncle still is (he has B&O everything, practically). But now, I clearly understand the inner-workings of B&O. My first clue-in to their non-audiophile products was my purchase of the very classy-looking, but horribly sounding (worse than the Koss 'phones) A8 earphones, that I laid down $160 for without hesitation (because I was very fond of B&O at the time).

Also, I talked to a previous employee at B&O (he engineered the Beo4 Remote Control- actually very incredible remote- but a rip-off nonetheless. He works for Audio Reality now). This previous employee, whose name I have forgotten, told me that B&O was "a design company only, not a company that is aimed at quality sound reproduction;" he told me this and a few other facts about B&O.

Now, as many of you might have guessed already, I am NOT a B&O fanatic anymore!! I have moved on and have a much better pair of headphones that shame the B&O's to an extent that is near unspeakable.

NOW, ABOUT THE BEO2:

About 7 months ago, I was still a B&O fanatic, and I knew about this product then as result of an inside scoop. BTW, B&O very likely does not have plans to post anything about the Beo2 officially on their site until they have released it to the press, or are soon to release it.

WHAT I THINK OF THE BEO2 CONCEPT:

Well, when I was ignorant and not into good sound but rather cool looks, I was attracted to purchase an expensive looking, very stylish B&O earphone, I though that I would have the ultimate headphone. BOY, WAS I SO VERY WRONG! THE A8 was a serious rip-off that was design oriented only, and this will be true for the Beo2.

The Beo2 is VERY STYLISH and very executive looking and makes a good partner of the A8's, making a nice coupe of the two, the Beo2 is nonetheless a serious rip-off. I guarantee right off the bat that a portable player that costs 80,000 Yen or $625 U.S. dollars that only plays AAC, WMA and MP3 will be a HORRIBLE, I repeat- HORRIBLE pruchase. Don't go there. MP3 and WMA are not very good decoders and are far from CD quality, and are NOT worth paying $625 for!

I hope I made my point clear. Perhaps none of you were planning on buying this, but I had to make sure! It would be a tragedy if you did!

B&O, unless it is thought of as solely a design company (for which they excel- I LOVE their telephones, I have one), but in regards to the sound their products make, it is not even close to worth the money in most cases.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Please, Mister Guru... relax.

I mean... B&O didn't commit the atrocities, which businessman would want their customers to wise up?
biggrin.gif
They're only doing what Sony's been doing and still does, they just don't cater to the $30 jogging-and-shuffling-****-in-Miami crowd. There's been countless B&O and Bose and Sony discussions; our regulars are probably not very oblivious to their bad reputation.

I'm certainly not abandoning Macs for this little thing myself... the interface is all that I'm really after because that seems like an interesting execution.

Apr 27, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, I am pretty sure that all of the regulars around here know that Bose and B&O are horrible. I just felt like sharing that little story of mine, and it wasn't in really written in anger or anything, I just think that B&O is a bit out of it when it comes to what really matters; which to us, is sound. But, to tell you the truth, I think that B&O designs the coolest, most stylish electronics that you can buy - you cannot find telephones that look like those of B&O (and actually, they SOUND really crisp and clear, too), and you cannot even dream to find audio systems that LOOK like like those of B&O. But when it comes to sound, they seem to take form over function. Leon, I'm glad that you posted this, because I hadn't yet seen what the Beo2 looked like, and I'm glad I saw it.
Now, we just have to hear it; there's got to be someone around here to buy that gem for $625, right?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 11
yeah, i recently went into a B&O shop to test out the A8's... not the greatest but man some of their stuff look so COOL. the Beo2 is no exception at all.... that has got to be one of the most unique looking portable audio players ive ever seen
eek.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 11
It seems that is the way BnO are going then. My father purchased a pair of Beovox CX 100's around 10 years ago. The speaker is out of production now but it is an incredible speaker. Very nice sound to it. Perhaps the days when BnO sounded as good as they look are behind us..

Sep 11, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 11
It's possible for people to get so wrapped up in the sound of things that they forget about the overall design of the product, how it makes you feel. If you can get it as right as Apple, where form equals function, fantastic - but even if it sounds mediocre, good design is still good design. AAC support sounds interesting...

Sep 11, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 11
But "good design" that doesn't also fulfill the intended purpose of the product is worthless. Apple's products are well-designed, but they also work very well and are easy to understand and use. Their designs look good, but they also increase productivity, which is what a computer is for. B&O's stuff looks cool, but doesn't sound great. When you're talking about a product that's supposed to reproduce audio, design for design's sake -- at the expense of sound quality -- is design failure, IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back