Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,875

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Hi all:

I've noticed the only thread for these fantastic closed/portable headphones is in the Network and Industry News section, so I thought it would be better than we had one here in the main Headphones Section.

Listening to them tonight on my iPod Classic / FiiO E11 and some Pat Metheny, holy smokes these are outstanding headphones. Tonal balance very neutral (likely the most neutral for portable closed headphones I've come across). The imaging on these things is better than a lot of open headphones. Very impressive indeed!

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 2,875
They are very impressive indeed. I actually had the chance to listen to the H6 and the Focal Spirit Classic last week. While I was very impressed by the Classic, I ended up spending most of the time with the H6. You are right, the imaging is superb! Already ordered one and on its way now!

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 2,875
I had a chance to A/B these against the B&W P7 at an Apple store recently. I like it more than the P7, and I like the P7 a lot. The H6 is the best looking portable headphone in existence if you ask me.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 2,875
Okay so I'm definitely about to cancel my P7 order for these (Amazon still doesn't have them in stock) but can this be driven well without an amp? I use an iPhone 5S and don't feel like buying/carrying around an amp. Thanks :)

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 2,875
Okay so I'm definitely about to cancel my P7 order for these (Amazon still doesn't have them in stock) but can this be driven well without an amp? I use an iPhone 5S and don't feel like buying/carrying around an amp. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I use them exclusively from my iPhone or iPad without an additional amp.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 2,875
Sweet thank you and btw your portable headphone thread is amazing and super helpful thanks for that. Also is the tan version of these really that hard to clean? I'm stuck between the two colors haha

I've had the tan version for about a month and they're like new still. I much prefer their look to the black and green.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 2,875
My first impression of the H6, in a word.. shy.  That's not necessarily a bad thing though.  This afternoon I auditioned them at the Apple Store.  Whoever listened to them before me put the EQ setting on Spoken Word.  (Don't you hate that.. LOL)  I disconnected the iPod Touch and connected my iPod Classic.  The song I auditioned was "Wait for the Summer" by Shake Some Action!  I thought for sure the H6 would either sound too bright and/or too thin.  That wasn't the case however.  The H6 reminded me of a hybrid between the AKG 701 (soundstage and bass quantity) and the Sennheiser HD 600 (detail).  

At home I did a quick A/B with the H6 and the KEF M500.  The KEF M500 sounded very bland almost entirely lacking treble.  When I switched back to the H6, the M500 made the H6 sound thin and distant.  I wasn't expecting the sound signature between the H6 and the M500 to be so different.  During the last two hours of listening to a random mix of Indie Rock and Electronica on an iMac >> HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp, the sound signature of the H6 has grown on me big time.  Two thumbs way up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back