Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs - A Newer & MORE POWERFUL Sith Lord Emerges??
Dec 5, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #197 of 432

Hey there - Coming from one of the other 589Cs threads (the one just titled: Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back). I've been battling with them all weekend; trying to find enough merit to keep them. I ultimately have decided to return them. All my other closed back headphones sound better to me (I prefer a flat or slightly V-shaped sig. These are more frown face eq'd, with a larger dip in the treble). Are you super treble sensitive? - Because when I listen to very spacious music with reverb, the reverb tails/late reflections are hardly audible, and very unclear. When I test and compare headphones, I usually use Several tunes: Michael Jackson "Beat It" & "P.Y.T" (Special Edition) , Fleetwood Mac "Gypsy", Lara Fabian "Adagio", Daft Punk (multiple songs from R.A.M.) for example. -  I read your review, and you slam the M50x (Which are to the majority of listeners out there, great all-rounders). In my comparing, the only things the 598Cs do subjectively better than the M50x is the tighter/cleaner bass, and the imaging detail. To me M50x has a much wider sound-stage, more perceived dynamics, and clearer (if notched) treble. - I do think what people hear varies greatly from individual to individual, but your review made me think it could be more too it than that. - In contrast, many people have a very similar negative consensus, and slam these cans in area's that you have praised.

I wish I could be as positive and glowing about these headphones, but compared to my other closed-back headphones (ATH M50x/M40x, MDR-1A, Shure SRH-840, Sony MDR-V6) these perform very poorly. Sound signature wise, they have more in common with Skullcandy over-ear headphones like the Hesh/Crusher, than the cans I listed. I've demoed a dozen more, but can only compare with what I'm in possession of. Out of all of them, the M40x's have the best sound for me (flat with just a slight boost on the treble and bass ends).

I think if you put a group of people together, to do a side by side comparison of the M40X & 598Cs, the majority of listeners, over 80%,  would chose the M40x (or even the M50x, for that matter), no question. 

can you test out the songs I linked on the ath and the 598cs? what headphones would you recommend that are good for that spacious reverb sound. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #198 of 432

Mix, 

Yes, I think I may have seen your review in that other thread as well. 

The trend I've noticed is that those who do not care much for the Cs tend to also really love the M50X. I owned the M50X for weeks before I eventually returned that one, and still to this day it was the worst pair of headphones I've ever tried. I had the original open-back 598 before it, and the EXCEPTIONAL AKG K550 right after it. Those 2 headphones wiped the floor with the M50X, to me anyway. And it seems like every one I've tried thereafter was at least better in the soundstage dept. Listening to music on the M50X for me equated to listening to music inside a tiny air tight bubble that someone had placed around my head. I just wasn't havin' it, so they didn't last long. If I recall, they also made a lot of "creaking" sounds too, which others (though not all) have also mentioned. They also were too bassy as well. I simply don't understand why so many praise them, but I guess they have their own group of ppl who don't like them either. lol (Note: The M50 & M50X have the same sound from what I've read of the two. The M50X just has a detachable cable.) 

I do like the songs you chose though. I use Fleetwood Mac's "Crystal" from the '75 "white" FM album in Hi-Res to judge clarity on headphones. During the chorus, esp the first one, the parts in between when Stevie & Lindsay aren't singing, there's a sweet "chimey" acoustic guitar part that I use to determine if the headphones are not only clear, but if they have a good upper end (some call it upper end "sparkle" I guess), then that part comes through really nicely. On both the 2nd Gen H6 and my Cs, I have had to turn the bass down a bit to hear them, but the bass is still pretty subtle (on both H6 and Cs) and not as strong as heard on other headphones, like my old Sony MDR-1A or even Beats headphones. I too have Michael Jackson's Thriller though in DSD.....and it is fantastic! (Use 15% off coupon code on left if buying.)  Couldn't recommend that one more. Two reviewers who both had the Hi-Res version say the DSD one even outdoes that one. (see reviews in link; mine is the one dated 5/15/2015) I also have "Get Lucky" from that Daft Punk R.A.M. album in Hi-Res as well. Sounds awesome! 

So I guess, like with much pretty ANYTHING lol, there's always going to be a difference of opinion. Some ppl say the Cs is too bassy, others say it's not bassy enough. Some say it's better than the 598 and/or 598 SE, some don't. I appreciate your post though. Others who read this and love the M50 or M50X may want to reconsider buying these then from what I can see. 

Yeah, the tiny bubble effect you experienced with the M50x may be due to that treble shelf starting at 2-2.5k. It may give an impression of narrowed focus. Admittedly, the treble shelf is the main thing that bothers me the most about them. The other thing, is the slightly dull imaging. However, I think that it's the imaging that helps make them better all-rounders for everything; as they are more forgiving. I have both the regular M50 & the M50x (don't use the regular one anymore), and they actually do sound slightly different. The newer X version is more refined with smoother connected frequency range. - You got me very curious to try Thriller DSD. I think that the Special Edition remaster already sounds incredible as is, and is my #1 go to for testing anything. - The breakdowns in "Beat It" & "P.Y.T.", cover pretty much everything I test/look out for.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the MDR-1A (strong low bass and all). Super sweet sounding. Maybe too sweet, and that's why I prefer the M40x. 

I think when a lot of general people describe frequency ranges when reviewing headphones, they are inadvertently confusing others. Unless you know the frequency points, you could be far off. (One person's treble, is actually the mids etc.) - That's why I used a graph. I think that's the only way I can properly attempt to convey what I hear. - There is absolutely NO WAY these 598Cs headphones have recessed mids... haha :) - Going back and forth between the regular 598 and the Cs, I understood that the Cs is pretty much exactly what I should have expected a closed back 598 to sound like. I just didn't think the mids would be so dominant. Maybe there is some resonance happening that contributes to the effect.       

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #199 of 432

Yeah, the tiny bubble effect you experienced with the M50x may be due to that treble shelf starting at 2-2.5k. It may give an impression of narrowed focus. Admittedly, the treble shelf is the main thing that bothers me the most about them. The other thing, is the slightly dull imaging. However, I think that it's the imaging that helps make them better all-rounders for everything; as they are more forgiving. I have both the regular M50 & the M50x (don't use the regular one anymore), and they actually do sound slightly different. The newer X version is more refined with smoother connected frequency range. - You got me very curious to try Thriller DSD. I think that the Special Edition remaster already sounds incredible as is, and is my #1 go to for testing anything. - The breakdowns in "Beat It" & "P.Y.T.", cover pretty much everything I test/look out for.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the MDR-1A (strong low bass and all). Super sweet sounding. Maybe too sweet, and that's why I prefer the M40x. 

I think when a lot of general people describe frequency ranges when reviewing headphones, they are inadvertently confusing others. Unless you know the frequency points, you could be far off. (One person's treble, is actually the mids etc.) - That's why I used a graph. I think that's the only way I can properly attempt to convey what I hear. - There is absolutely NO WAY these 598Cs headphones have recessed mids... haha :) - Going back and forth between the regular 598 and the Cs, I understood that the Cs is pretty much exactly what I should have expected a closed back 598 to sound like. I just didn't think the mids would be so dominant. Maybe there is some resonance happening that contributes to the effect.       

Perhaps it was the treble shelf done? 

Ok. Yeah I had the M50X, not M50. 

Well you should buy it then. It does sound IMMACULATE, and I seriously doubt you will regret it if you do. 

Yeah I dunno. lol 

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #200 of 432

Perhaps it was the treble shelf done? 

Ok. Yeah I had the M50X, not M50. 

Well you should buy it then. It does sound IMMACULATE, and I seriously doubt you will regret it if you do. 

Yeah I dunno. lol 

I think it is also depends on how bassy you want your headphones to be.

This guy trashes the M50x very hard:

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #201 of 432

I think it is also depends on how bassy you want your headphones to be.

This guy trashes the M50x very hard:

The M40x is definitely better, and I think it's the best headphone in it's class. It punches way above it's weight.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #203 of 432
Oh my, Christmas is already here. Just received my HD598CS and they are comfy!!! It came 1 week earlier than estimated. Now, any suggestions on some tunes to play through my V10?

I will also try this with and without my FiiO A3 amp to see if it makes a difference

EDIT: Any recommendations to test soundstage?

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #204 of 432
  Oh my, Christmas is already here. Just received my HD598CS and they are comfy!!! It came 1 week earlier than estimated. Now, any suggestions on some tunes to play through my V10?

I will also try this with and without my FiiO A3 amp to see if it makes a difference

Congrats on your purchase! :) Be warned though, straight of the box they sound very congested, at least that was in my case. Soundstage, clarity and overal fidelity really opened after 10-15hrs

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #205 of 432

Since i'm using the 1.2mt one with an inline mic, for "gaming" i'd like to swap this cable with a better one with an inline mic that is better than this (not that i expect much from these kind of mics), any suggestion?

Anyone? 
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #206 of 432

That's awesome Blurry! 

I can suggest several songs. First off, you'd wanna buy the Hi-Res versions of them if you want the BEST sound. If you're into rock (or related) music at all, then: 

Adele - Skyfall (make sure to choose the 24/96 Hi-Res one)

The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby (Stereo) (Track 14.....NOT the mono version lol) 

Cream - Strange Brew

Elton John - Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (pay attention to the acoustic guitars, including fills)

Elton John - All The Girls Love Alice (but honestly, you should just buy the whole album ((use the 15% discount code if you do)). IMO, it's his best one and full of several other great songs.) 

Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay (the song, but the album is great overall too. See my review at bottom too. Again, use the discount code.) 

Pearl Jam - Evenflow (Brendan O'Brien Mix) (24-bit) 

Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer (24-bit) (The orchestral ending of this song is the stuff of legends lol. Also another VERY solid album which you can find on Acoustic Sounds.) 

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (Listen to that drum part right before the vocals come in)

There are even more albums I could suggest, just for how great they sound overall. They would cost more than the singles obviously, but are WELL worth the cost.

Aside from the bands' songs above (and their respective albums), a lot of my top favorites you can only buy the albums from, not singles. Any Hi-Res albums from the following bands are GOLD and should be seriously considered for purchase (best price is still probably found on Acoustic Sounds' website with that code ((15PERCENT)), or else HDTracks or 7digital): Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, U2 (Achtung Baby), R.E.M., Lenny Kravitz, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Lennon, Paul McCartney (Band on the Run), Gordon Lightfoot (Sundown), Michael Jackson (Thriller in DSD; see my 5/15/2015 review & other reviews at bottom), Garbage (Supervixen and Version 2.0), Faces, CCR, Daft Punk, Carly Simon (No Secrets), Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan (various singles off "Blonde on Blonde" & "Blood on the Tracks" albums from 7digital, and also Nashville Skyline DSD ((also see my review at bottom))), Billy Joel, Beck, and Band of Horses (Everything All The Time). 

Note: For the DSD albums, you MAY need the dBpoweramp program to convert & play them depending on which player you use as not all players can decode DSD/DSF files. If they won't play, PM me and I'll explain how to fix that. 

I used to own the FiiO A3 amp (it used to be called the E11k when I bought it 2 years ago). It's a fantastic amp! Great design too. I know that the V20 has a trick to give you the higher amp setting (Normal to Aux). Have you tried that? If not, then you probably should b/c it may then get loud enough where you wouldn't need the A3 anymore. Unless you're just comparing how it sounds vs. wanting more volume? Let me know. 

Also, which player app are you using on the V10? Stock? Poweramp??

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #208 of 432

That's awesome Blurry! 

I can suggest several songs. First off, you'd wanna buy the Hi-Res versions of them if you want the BEST sound. If you're into rock (or related) music at all, then: 

The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby (Stereo) (Track 14.....NOT the mono version lol) 

Cream - Strange Brew

Elton John - Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (pay attention to the acoustic guitars, including fills)

Elton John - All The Girls Love Alice (but honestly, you should just buy the whole album ((use the 15% discount code if you do)). IMO, it's his best one and full of several other great songs.) 

Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay (the song, but the album is great overall too. See my review at bottom too. Again, use the discount code.) 

Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer (24-bit) (The orchestral ending of this song is the stuff of legends lol. Also another VERY solid album which you can find on Acoustic Sounds.) 

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (Listen to that drum part right before the vocals come in)

There are even more albums I could suggest, just for how great they sound overall. They would cost more than the singles obviously, but are WELL worth the cost.

Aside from the bands' songs above (and their respective albums), a lot of my top favorites you can only buy the albums from, not singles. Any Hi-Res albums from the following bands are GOLD and should be seriously considered for purchase (best price is still probably found on Acoustic Sounds' website with that code ((15PERCENT)), or else HDTracks or 7digital): Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, U2 (Achtung Baby), R.E.M., Lenny Kravitz, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Lennon, Paul McCartney (Band on the Run), Gordon Lightfoot (Sundown), Michael Jackson (Thriller in DSD; see my 5/15/2015 review & other reviews at bottom), Garbage (Supervixen and Version 2.0), Faces, CCR, Daft Punk, Carly Simon (No Secrets), Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan (various singles off "Blonde on Blonde" & "Blood on the Tracks" albums from 7digital, and also Nashville Skyline DSD ((also see my review at bottom))), Billy Joel, Beck, and Band of Horses (Everything All The Time). 

Note: For the DSD albums, you MAY need the dBpoweramp program to convert & play them depending on which player you use as not all players can decode DSD/DSF files. If they won't play, PM me and I'll explain how to fix that. 

I used to own the FiiO A3 amp (it used to be called the E11k when I bought it 2 years ago). It's a fantastic amp! Great design too. I know that the V20 has a trick to give you the higher amp setting (Normal to Aux). Have you tried that? If not, then you probably should b/c it may then get loud enough where you wouldn't need the A3 anymore. Unless you're just comparing how it sounds vs. wanting more volume? Let me know. 

That's awesome Blurry! 

Cream - Strange Brew

Woah! Thank you so much for these suggestions. Now i've gotta spend some more on some better tunes. I was listening to Hotel California, Black or White and Daft Punk get lucky 24bit on the way to work, and i have to say, my early impressions were quite good (coming from AKG k271 and HyperX clouds). Hopefully as Goodboy mentioned, after some listening, the overall sound quality opens up.
I recently got the newest Metallica FLACs, but i haven't spent much time on it yet. I need to revisit my old catalog to see which songs i need to upgrade as I do hear more details (for better and for worst).

As for the player on my V10, I use Poweramp (i opted in for the beta), which I've found to be best both in sound and UI interface. I only use the amp when i'm at home using my phone or when playing on my ps4 (aux --> A3 --> headphones).

AMP wise, the V10 is loud enough, I just wanted to test if there were any sonic improvements if i played it through the AMP instead of straight out of the Phone. I also use the A3 + FiiO X3 Gen 1 as a DAC on my PC

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #210 of 432
you know I have to wonder its funny that we talk about the differences between mp3 and like FLAC hi-res audio. When we talk about TV's anyone looking at a 4k screen would immediately tell the quality and all would agree that it looks stunning. but with hi-res audio we can't seem to be blown away by it in the same way. i wonder if it it's because you need compatible Hi-res equipment/headphones to really get the quality. Or like how I was talking about earlier, that for something to be truly hi-res it has to go back to the artist producing it, mastering, and mixing it in hi-res in the same that you need to produce 4k with 4k cameras. But even with 1080p footage it still looks amazing. 

I have a couple of hi-res tracks I can tell some differences but I had to play them obsessively back and forth from each other. Sometimes I wonder if its placebo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back