Bang for the Buck: $100, $250, $500
May 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Toe Tag

100+ Head-Fier
I submit the system in my sig as a top bang-for-the-buck system, $500 category.

Would be interesting to submit similar rigs for $100 category (something driving a KCS-75 with the Kramer mod possibly) or $250 category (Sparrow driving the RE0 IEM is my entry). 

Should I apologize in advance if this has already been done, or if there's no forum category for "whole system"? Nah. The idea here is, to turn people on to, yes your music can sound great, and it only takes $100/ $250/ $500 to get started.

We could even have a poll but, I don't think this should be about competition or winning, it should be about, enjoying the music, and sharing that. And it seems more affordable than ever.

May 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 15
ok, I'm in for $250 category (The Tripple One set up)

Headphone: Alessandro MS1i (Bowl)
Amp: Firestone Fireye 1
DAC: Ordnance DAC-1

If you love vocal and detail sound, then I think you should try this one 
dt880smile.png

May 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 15
I have reservations about these threads that try to ascertain 'best for $X' without accounting for personal preferences, especially at these lower price points where you really have to make significant compromises. But I'll give it a shot:

I would put forward HD600 + Audio GD Sparrow (or another value DAC/amp) for around $500, but you see, I haven't actually got this system. 
redface.gif
 I hope someone else can weigh in though. 

May 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 15
People submitting their recommendations need to indicate their music preferences/personal bias: whether it's vocals, jazz, rock, classical, etc...

Or with specific recommendation like what TheMiddleSky did: "if you like XXX & ZZZ."

May 28, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
People submitting their recommendations need to indicate their music preferences/personal bias: whether it's vocals, jazz, rock, classical, etc...

Or with specific recommendation like what TheMiddleSky did: "if you like XXX & ZZZ."

Exactly! I keep asking on threads... "and what music do YOU listen to?". 'Cause without that, a basis for taste (as really most of this is...) can not be established.
Someone listening to thrasher metal is (most likely) not going to be listening for or appreciating the same overall sound as someone who enjoys medieval polyphony.

Good post noob!

shane

May 28, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I can only partly agree with this. I believe an excellent, fairly neutral setup should actually pretty good with all genres - for example, I can't think of a genre that a highly detailed, fairly neutral, large/medium soundstage, fast, deep bass headphone without glaring flaws (hot treble, muddiness etc...) cannot handle. You can argue that certain genres require some coloration, but I doubt an 'ideal' headphone would utterly fail at any of them. 

But in real life, and especially at the suggested price points, no headphone is perfect or even that close to the ideal. We are forced to make compromises based on personal preferences. Which is why we qualify our suggestions to genres and preferences. 

At the same time, there are number of headphones which are 'kind of' all rounders at their respective price points, and if they have compromises, they are smaller. I know the ESW10JPN fits here (though soundstage is a huge compromise here),  from their reputations I like the M50 and HD600 would be too. I don't want to endorse the noob idea of best, I think you said something very important and doubly so for the prices mentioned, but I don't think 'a headphone for every genre' quite captures our decision process either. 

May 28, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 15
I read once that only 4% of music sales is classical, and 4% jazz. I wonder if its true of head-fi listeners? If so, it would be reasonable to tune the bang-for-the-buck starter kit for pop music.

May 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I read once that only 4% of music sales is classical, and 4% jazz. I wonder if its true of head-fi listeners? If so, it would be reasonable to tune the bang-for-the-buck starter kit for pop music.

But what percentage of headphone users use decent headphones? I'm not sure that's an association we should make, since head-fiers are inherently exceptional. 

May 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
The best headphones for pop music are Skullcandy, the peoples know this!

BTW how does a Mac mini fit in your $500 system, they cost more than that alone don't they?

I'm assuming that at these low price points, we don't count the source, that at these prices, any digital source is going to be fine, that a $250 budget wouldn't benefit from including a $100 USB cable or $200 headphone cable. I'm just trying to turn people on to good sound at an appealing price point and I'm assuming that anyone into music has some kind of computer already. If they want to go portable that's another discussion. I just want them to experience good sound and get started, then they can go from there.

May 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 15
I would go for the $500 setup. I think a Stax SR-Lambda and SRD7-Adapter which will cost you roughly $375 + a power amp/T-Amp to drive the stax setup which only cost below $50, mine costs $30 + uDac (priced $90 if I'm not mistaken) for the source.

So the math would be :

$375 + $30 + $90 = $495 and walla!

This setup would be suitable for people looking for transparency, detail, speed, and soundstaging. :D

May 28, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 15
Here is to my ears an awesome setup which I purchased new online at just under $250.00: E-MU 0404usb amp/DAC with Fostex T50RP ortho headphones. 

When I first purchased the E-MU a couple of years ago it was in order to upgrade my PC to be able to function as a Digital Audio Workstation, but I was amazed at the improvement in sound quality coming out of my headphones compared to the Soundblaster Live card I had been using. Before that experience I had no idea that amps and DACs could make such a difference - definitely an educational experience and pleasant surprise as well.

Then last fall when I received a set of Fostex T50RP headphones I had a similar revelatory audio experience. The life-like way in which they reproduce vocals, saxophones, drums, and other real-world sounds is on a whole 'nuther level compared to the audio-technica AD700's and A55's I had been using as well as the Yamaha RH-5MAs. I think they even do a better job in that regard than the JBL studio monitors I have as well.

The Fostex don't suffer from any fatiguing brightness while still being very detailed. They are definitely not a bass-head kind of can in their stock form, although there is information in the Ortho thread if you are inclined to mod them. The AD700 headphones taught me that not only do I not like bright fatiguing headphones, but also find a wide headphone soundstage to seem artificial and so I prefer the more intimate soundstage of the Fostex.

I listen to a variety of music from a wide range of eras, mostly mellower stuff these days and this combination has increased my appreciation of music featuring good singers as well. I will usually pick 5 or 6 'albums' and then randomize the songs and see how they get along; and this combination of amp/dac and headphone is very good for that in my experience. The only thing missing to me ears is solid bass at a level to match the mids, and the pleasure of hearing the occasional subterranean bass note.

May 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 15
My vote for a < 250$ rig:

$90 uDac + $160 SR225.  

90% percent of the sound of my dacmagic + MAD Ear+ + HF-1 for 15% the price.  Great for rock of all sorts and jazz.  Pretty good for classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back