Bands similar to the Postal Service?
Jun 4, 2008 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I love love love the postal service, and have been on a quest to look for bands similar in sound. Was just wondering if you guys have any suggestions on similar bands or similar sounds. I am digging the female/male vocal blends as well. I recall a thread with some talk about female/male vocals and just going through those bands now.

Got any other suggestions? I would really appreciate any advice!

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 21
hmmmm well when I listen to my playlist I usually hold Mates of State and The Spinto Band in the same regard as The Postal Service. Might consider the Tokyo Police Club in there as well. However its probably just me ;D might not be the same thing you're looking for but do have a listen as some of their music is really good.

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 21
As far as me relating them to some of my other music thats pretty much it. I haven't heard anybody that does anything exactly like them. They are just wonderful! But if you end up liking what you hear from some of the other artists I mentioned then I can definitely point you in the direction of more of the same
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 21
Postal service is the guy from Death Cab for Cutie and Dntel, right?

Have you checked out those two separate groups?

I have an album by Dntel that's OK. Death Cab is also ok.

I don't know. I'm trying to be helpful, but I don't love these bands (it's all "ok" to me). But if you don't know Death Cab and Dntel, you might want to go that route.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 21
The Notwist Neon Golden, one of the best electro-folk-pop type records of the last few years for me. Their "sister" band in Lali Puna has a couple stellar ones too. New Notwist coming shortly ... KEXP Blog » Blog Archive » Song of the Day: The Notwist - Good Lies

Lots of talk around here about Manitoba/Caribou (admittedly though, mostly by me), but that would be a good pick, especially Up In Flames. After changing his band name to Caribou, it was reissued as a 2-CD set with some great bonus tracks. Last year's Andorra is also very solid, maybe became my favorite of the year as it continues to grow.

Lots more along those lines. Pretty nice mastering on the above discs, with Neon Golden sounding very good.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 21
Not as cute as the Postal Service, but much better all around album i.m.o. is the LP In Ghost Colours by Cut Copy. Amazing electro-pop, and as it stands so far, my album of the year.

MySpace.com - Cut Copy - Melbourne, AU - Pop / Pop / Pop - www.myspace.com/cutcopy

Neon Golden is an amazing album (a personal top 10 favourite) but takes itself a little more seriously than the Postal Service or Cut Copy. The new Notwist album, The Devil, You + Me, has a few songs that hit me immediately (Good Lies, Gloomy Planets), but as a whole hasn't quite knocked me off my feet, yet.

The new Death Cab for Cutie LP, Narrow Stairs is a return to form after the radio-friendly Plans turned off many loyal fans. But as a fan of the Postal Service, I imagine you are already aware of both groups sharing the lead singer.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 21
I'll double the In Ghost Colours rec. That's a fun album with a touch of artistic merit with all the instrumental framing, focused and slightly bittersweet underneath the shiny synths. For more earnest homage, one might try Stainless Style by Neon Neon. They nail radio pop circa late 80's/early 90's. It's a concept album about John Delorean as well. How sweet is that.

As for Postal Service specifically, I'd recommend Figurine's Transportation + Communication = Love. It is another Tamborello project whose gentle 8 bit sound preludes The Postal Service. Lyricaly, it's not as dark, instead focusing on fun stuff like Aliens and innocent love. Still, that sound is there along with the melodic sense. It's really a great listen for whimsy filled moods.

One warning for DNTEL. I would rec beginnning with Life if Full of Possibilities. Dumb Luck received a lukewarm greeting in many circles.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 21
Wow thanks guys! There are some bands I have heard and some I haven't.

I have dumb luck and I was OK with it. I will definitely take a listen to their other album.

I have heard of the notwist and in general like the songs they put out.

Deathcab, not such a big fan. I know it's the same guy, but I like the feel of postal service as well as the vocals and electronic nature. I am going to try the suggestions out as well as follow them up to see where the "similar artists" lead me.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 21
If you dig the 8 bitish techno bit... Crystal Castles was pretty good.

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 21
I can't listen to Postal Service without thinking of Yaz. I wore out the tape, yes tape, of 'Upstairs at Erics' in the mid-80's. I'm pretty sure Ben Gibbard went through some Yaz in his day too and it's worth revisiting them I'd say if you're diggin' on P.S.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 21
How 'bout Hot Chip? I recommend the 'the Warning' and the latest 'Made in the Dark', such a fun band to see live and they get the crowd moving with their dance friendly music. A close equivalent would be the previously mentioned Cut Copy. Do you know if another Postal Service album is in the making?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back