Bands like Tool
Jan 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 22
My friend described OSI as 'a better version of Tool.' It's got a similar vibe, but it's wayyy less 'out there' and strange.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
So I recently started to fall in love with Tool, I was wondering if there are any similar bands?

Ive been a Tool fan since I heard Prison Sex back in 96' and trust me, there isnt anything like TOOL, hence their huge success and following.
What I will tell you is that you may like ISIS. VEY different than TOOL but, I actually got introd to them when they opened for TOOL years ago.
Start with Panopticon. Its EPIC.

Quote:
My friend described OSI as 'a better version of Tool.' It's got a similar vibe, but it's wayyy less 'out there' and strange.

The "strangeness" and "out there-ness" is what makes TOOL so original and enjoyable.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 22
I am basically here to second everything people are saying here. First, there is nothing like TOOL. Second, definitely get ISIS. I also found out about them when they opened for Tool a couple years ago. Probably the same tour the guy above me went to. ISIS is not like Tool at all but they are awesome in their own way.Start with Panopticon as already suggested and if you like it then get In the Absence of Truth.

BUT WAIT, I cant believe no one has mentioned THIS band YET: A PERFECT CIRCLE.

Maynard the singer from Tool started APC as a side project but the band has amassed a huge following and so they did a couple of albums together. Again, harmonics are not like Tool but the lyrics and the general weirdness of Maynard is there. Definitely check them out,

First get Thirteenth Step, then eMotive and then Mer De Noms if you really get into them. Have fun!

Jan 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
So I recently started to fall in love with Tool, I was wondering if there are any similar bands?

Being that we've established that there really isnt anything similar, I am going to give you some recs based on your taste:

Katatonia-The Great Cold Distance
Cave In-Jupiter (one of my fave albums of the past decade)
Dredg-Leitmotif

As for A Perfect Circle, I think they are "Tool-Lite", at best. My theory on Maynards side-projets is this: Why waste your time making sub-par music to a music that you have already made, with a proven band and style? The dude needs to stop toying around with his wine making and get moving on putting out more Tool material.

Jan 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:

Quote:

Being that we've established that there really isnt anything similar, I am going to give you some recs based on your taste:

Dredg-Leitmotif

As for A Perfect Circle, I think they are "Tool-Lite", at best. My theory on Maynards side-projets is this: Why waste your time making sub-par music to a music that you have already made, with a proven band and style? The dude needs to stop toying around with his wine making and get moving on putting out more Tool material.

lol I actually listen to VERY little heavy rock, it's mostly indie folk/rock, and alternative and jazz and classical

TOOl is just so great I love them without liking metal too much

Jan 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Dredg-Leitmotif

lol I actually listen to VERY little heavy rock, it's mostly indie folk/rock, and alternative and jazz and classical

TOOl is just so great I love them without liking metal too much

lol, nevermind then. I still say "A Perfect Circle" would be the best you can get.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 22
I tried getting into tool last week..it has only one feeling dark absolutely no evolving texture in sound or in emotion.the tone of the singers voice is the same for every track the drums guitar sound very ridget no movement it has a robotic feel to it.but if i would recommend something to you that sounds similar and more musical pleasing.A Perfect Circle Mer de Noms

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I tried getting into tool last week..it has only one feeling dark absolutely no evolving texture in sound or in emotion.the tone of the singers voice is the same for every track the drums guitar sound very ridget no movement it has a robotic feel to it.but if i would recommend something to you that sounds similar and more musical pleasing.A Perfect Circle Mer de Noms

lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back