Bands Like Placebo
Nov 14, 2003 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
I just remembered about Placebo the other day, and I was wondering if anybody knew of any bands that sound like them...thanks
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 7
hmmm... i'd have to say the newest band i could think of would be The Music. the singer (i forgot his name) has the same whiny, high pitched voice not too unlike Brian Molko (some people think The Music's singer sounds like Geddy Lee of Rush), and the music has the same crunch and bite much like Placebo's more crushing tracks. Placebo is decidedly more darker, theatrical, and cynical.

other bands: Mansun, early Verve, early Suede, Radiohead (not them again), Starsailor, Smashing Pumpkins, My Virtiol, that's all i could think of...

Placebo's influences include David Bowie, Sonic Youth, The Cure (Without You I'm Nothing makes a great companion with Disintegration), Joy Division, Sex Pistols, Human League, Depeche Mode.

Dec 3, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
i second Interpol. i love Joy Division influences. if Interpol and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club gives any hint of what the US indie scene is heading torwards, i think its a great sign.

So can anyone comment on Placebo's "Sleeping With Ghosts?" duno why i never picked it up,as i have Placebo's first three albums. how does it compare to the classic "Without You I'm Nothing?"

Dec 3, 2003 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 7
I only have Without You I'm Nothing and Sleeping With Ghosts...I prefer the latter, for the most part. I heard some samples of Black Market Music the other day, and that sounded really great...I'll have to pick that up sometime, as well.

Dec 4, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 7
Maybe Muse-Origin of Symmetry? I always kinda group the two bands together in my mind.

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 7
www.allmusic.com <- Your best friend.

My ex has been talking about Placebo a lot (though not to me). Guess I'll check them out. Early Verve eh? Shoegaze?

The Music is almost The Verve incarnate with dance rhythems, saw them last year, great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back