Bands/Groups with Great Songs, Terrible Singer(s)
May 21, 2014 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sonance

500+ Head-Fier
Hopefully this is not a re-tread of a similar thread - I did a search and didn't see anything quite like it.

So this is a thread about bands or groups that put out songs that you really like - but not when the main or regular singer sings them.

So what does that leave? Maybe songs by that group with the backup or secondary singer in the group, or guest / featured artists doing lead vocals, or songs where the lead singer's voice is heavily processed or sung in a different style (like with a digital effect or a falsetto), or where you prefer covers of that groups songs over the original, or non-vocal tracks only.

What's this thread not about? About groups you just hate. Also not about solo artists not in a band - this is not a general bashing thread, just a place to vent about groups that have great song-writing but that you feel are being held back by their lead singer.

I got the idea for this thread when listening to "Heart it Races" covered by Dr. Dog, which (IMHO) is a million times better than the vocals on Architecture in Helsinki's original version. Architecture in Helsinki also has a female vocalist, and while she is not the world's best singer, she's a million times better (to me) than the lead singer - Cameron Bird. Unfortunately, it's pretty much his band, I assume he writes the music too. Thanks to Spotify, I've listened to several of their albums, and I have to hit skip on most of their tracks as soon as the vocals kick in, except when the vocals are heavily processed or not by Cameron (like Do the Whirlwind , which may be the best video-game inspired music video ever):

Another, slightly more controversial opinion might be Arcade Fire. I like their music, but find some of Win Butler's many vocal styles quite insufferable. Other times, he's fine. On the controversial tip, I also don't like vocals by New Order's Bernard Sumner, although I love some of their songs - Peter Hook's bass and their retreads of Joy Division songs. I also think Kim Deal makes a better Pixies lead singer than Black Francis.

Who else?

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 4
This is a bit different from what you're asking for, but I think that Gerard Way has a terrible voice. That being said, I think it fits the mood of MCR's music, and so it's alright. But, like I said, if he tried to sing anywhere else, I feel like they'd kick him out.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Clarification: I do like some material by MCR. I just think it's interesting that a voice like that can work in a group like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back