Banana plug benefits
Nov 4, 2006 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
i have come monster speaker cables (No, I didn't pay for them, i got them when i bought a surround sound setup from craigslist. and am curious as to whether there would be any benefits to add Banana connectors to the end of these. Also, what would be some that would be good on a budget?

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 14
Yes there is. You can unplug and plug in speakers without looking. Just reach behind and click click. Or click click click click if you bi-wire.

I put plugs on my Canare speaker cable because my amp's and speaker's terminals are a downright pain to reach in their current position. No downsides in sound.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Yes there is. You can unplug and plug in speakers without looking. Just reach behind and click click. Or click click click click if you bi-wire.

I put plugs on my Canare speaker cable because my amp's and speaker's terminals are a downright pain to reach in their current position. No downsides in sound.

Ditto.

Love bananas (the metal one, not the organic one
biggrin.gif
). So much more convenient than bare wires and even spades, with no detectable effect on sound.

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Click click? You must have some easy going banana plugs then. I didn't want mine to come out easily so I got ones where you need to have a very firm grip on the speaker or amp to plug or unplug the cables.
biggrin.gif

Still way easier than trying to blindly get all the strands to go back into the binding post when you're in an awkward position to get behind the AV rack, though.

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Click click? You must have some easy going banana plugs then.

Everything is as easy as click click with the appropriate amount of english applied to it.
wink.gif
They are actually rather tight.

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman
i have come monster speaker cables (No, I didn't pay for them, i got them when i bought a surround sound setup from craigslist. and am curious as to whether there would be any benefits to add Banana connectors to the end of these. Also, what would be some that would be good on a budget?

As already said by others, banana plugs are way easier to use than bare wire. Also, bare wire oxidizes very rapidly, and bananas help with this as well.

Just get some cheap gold plated bananas and you're good to go.

Nov 6, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Or click click click click if you bi-wire.

What does it mean to 'bi-wire'?

Any banana connectors that would be cheap and decent?

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 14
Bi-wire. Running two sets of cables from amp to speaker posts. One for each driver. If nothing else it provides double the wire and thus half the resistance to the speakers. Whether or not it makes a difference depends on who you ask. I have bi-wire terminals on my speakers so I may as well use them.

My local electronics shop had some very standard looking clamp type plugs, gold plated and heavy for a few bucks each. I don't see the sense in spending big here.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 14
Got a question about bi-wiring with bananas. Should i use 2 sets of plugs on each end (speaker/reciever) or can i just thread both sets of wires through one plug at the reciever and then 2 sets at the speakers? I know that bananas are made to be "piggy-backed" but i don't really want them sticking that far out the back of the reciever if i can avoid it.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by repeater123
Got a question about bi-wiring with bananas. Should i use 2 sets of plugs on each end (speaker/reciever) or can i just thread both sets of wires through one plug at the reciever and then 2 sets at the speakers? I know that bananas are made to be "piggy-backed" but i don't really want them sticking that far out the back of the reciever if i can avoid it.

My bananas don't piggy back. But I do have biwiring terminals so no problems. However, if you don't have this then just put two wires into one plug (at the amp end, as you said above)

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 14
I like the stackable Multi-Contact LS 4/KT 4-B.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back