Ban on Dihydrogen Monoxide.
Nov 24, 2002 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
The ban on dihydrogen monoxide

A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won the first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, april 26. He was ettempting to show how conditioned people have become to alarmists practicing science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination to the chemical called "dihydrogen monoxide". And for plenty good reasons:
1. It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting.

2. It is a major component in acid rain.
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state.
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you.
5. It contributes to erosion.
6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.
8. Despite the danger, it is used in nucleair powerplants.
9. The navy conducts experiments with it.
10. It contributes to the Greenhouse effect.
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban on the chemical. 43 said yes, 6 were undecided and only one person knew that the chemical was water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True or False?
True, most of it. You can find all about it right here.
According to Marcus Rosander, former student at Lund University this was actually tested as a joke by students at Lund University in Sweden in September 1986.

A bunch of students did this as their "new students mission", they selected a part of Lund and informed all house owners that the community was going to spred DHMO in the area and they got some 40 people to sign the protest list

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 15
I want to laugh, but it shows how ignorance can effect policy. These people were willing to vote on this!

Scary.

Nov 25, 2002 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Now apply this to gun control, or spork control or pointy stick control or whatever it is you yankees believe in.

Nov 25, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 15
hehehe I lauged b4 i got to the reasons it was bad. Took me a sec to get H2O though
smily_headphones1.gif
But i relized it b4 i came to the end.

Heheh i said out loud...isnt that water?

Nov 25, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Too much of a chemist, and when I saw Dihydrogen Monoxide, I almost skipped it as some type of BS put out by Flasken to substitute alcohol for water. Then I decided to read.

Unfortunately, it is terrrifyingly typical of just about everything. People will buy just about anything if you present it right.

The sheep keep escaping from the pens and we have to keep chasin' them back.

Nov 25, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
I almost skipped it as some type of BS put out by Flasken to substitute alcohol for water.

Some day it WILL happen, some day. Just you wait.

Nov 25, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 15
Another oldie, but goodie.

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

Unfortunately, it is terrrifyingly typical of just about everything. People will buy just about anything if you present it right.

*cough* POP MUSIC *cough*

(and i'm not dissing it, i'm just telling it like it is)

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 15
Nice! I wish I had pulled this one. Very original, and artufully perpetrated.

kelly, you don't believe in gun control??? I think that it is an essential skill! Can't fire accurate double taps without proper gun control.

biggrin.gif

gerG

Nov 26, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Now apply this to gun control, or spork control or pointy stick control or whatever it is you yankees believe in.

lol.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 15
this reminds me of this Canadian show with Rick Mercer, "Talking To Americans"- it's sort of like the Leno thing where he interviews people off the street that don't know 'common knowledge' type of stuff.

Mercer got people to say things for the camera like "Congratulations Canada, on legalizing VCRs!" and have them sign petitions to "Allow surgeons smoking while performing operations.", or to Ban hunting of rhinos in north Saskatchewan, etc..

I don't think most Americans are that dumb, but its one of the funniest shows I've every seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back