Balmorhea anyone?
Aug 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Effusion

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard or like Balmorhea out of Texas?  I really like where these guys heads are at, some really great original songs...

River Arms, Constellations, and even the remix album all have some truly great stuff.  Any recommendations to artists that are similar?

dt880smile.png

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Yeah. It's excellent calming stuff. Definitely listen to some Michael Nyman if you enjoyed River Arms.

Thanks Cianyx!

Michael has some really great stuff... I don't believe I've heard anything that he has done that I haven't liked, but I've only heard a handful.  Which of his works are your favorite?

Anyone enjoy The Books or The Gentleman Losers, in addition to Balmorhea?  Similar in many ways, eclectic Folktronica, Ambient Americana... any other recommendations along these lines?

bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Balmorhea is allright. Looking into your other recommendations.

Although at times heavy on the electronicz you might want to check:

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue

Bibio has some great stuff, I have FI, Hand Cranked, and Vignetting the Compost... actually never listened to Ambivalence Avenue though and now I have a good reason to, thanks! 
biggrin.gif

I agree about their sound though, unique... I've found that with the right set of tubes you can really tame it, wish they would throw in a beat more often...

Have you heard any My Autumn Empire?  Completely independent I believe, some really great stuff along the lines of Balmorhea, Bibio, Pink Floyd, and even Boards of Canada and The Beatles on certain songs.  "The Approach of the City", "The Gate Song", "Mae vs The Nature Table", and "Brassneck" are all great songs.  I just hope they start releasing more albums soon...
frown.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Wow, I didn't expect to read here about this band! If you like them you might like Clogs and Eluvium as well. To me, both songs (bands) are absolutely mind-blowing. Some might disagree here, but I think this is ART, not a PRODUCT.

Thanks for the recommendation! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've never heard Clogs before... really liking this track, previewing the album as I type.

Eluvium has some really great stuff as well, I think I have just about every release except for a few hard to find ones.  He has this really great sense of nostalgia that very few do so right... which also reminds me of Keith Kenniff's stuff as Goldmund and Helios.  If you haven't heard any, definitely check out these two...

Helios - "Eingya"

And as Goldmund - "Corduroy Road"

Both are definitely Art...
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for your recommendations! I haven't heard about him, so I'll try to check these albums out as soon as possible. I just read a little about Keith Kenniff and it seems like he mixes acoustic elements with electronic music. Is this true? If so, I'm quite sure that I'll like his music.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Thanks for your recommendations! I haven't heard about him, so I'll try to check these albums out as soon as possible. I just read a little about Keith Kenniff and it seems like he mixes acoustic elements with electronic music. Is this true? If so, I'm quite sure that I'll like his music.
happy_face1.gif

I can't recommend him more... Keith can write some really great melodies and definitely has his own sound.  Helios is more electronic, while the Goldmund is more minimalist and ambient.  He also sings on quite a few songs, on his self-titles and I believe only on Ayres as Helios... I think you'll find Caesura to your liking as well and don't pass up Unomia if you like Dark Ambient, IDM, and/or Drone!

Rehabitat, thanks for the recommendation!  I've never heard the Tin Hat Trio before, interesting and very cool song, I'm going to have to check them out, which album would you recommend first?

Quote:
I really like All is wild, All is silent. I'm gonna start checking out those recomendations, because sadly I haven't found much similar bands myself.

All is wild, All is silent is a really great album! 
dt880smile.png

You should really check out the remix album if you haven't... one of the best remix albums I've heard in quite a while!  It has some truly great remixes, by some of the most creative and original electronic artists today... this album sparked my initial interest, which has only grown and grown since!  Definitely a recommend! 
regular_smile .gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 13

You are most welcome, kind sir.

I only have "Book of Silk".  It's a beautiful and varied album from start to finish, a personal favourite.  A desert island disc.  I've read the other albums are good, but this is apparently the best.  Did you like the tuba?  I love the tuba:wink: quite a soulful sound.  I played one at school a long time ago so I guess nostalgia plays a part.  The violinist, Carla Kihlstedt, is a member of several other very interesting bands....
I've never heard any Balmorhea and my post was pretty random, inspired by what I heard on the Clogs link posted by nonentity.  I liked what I heard 
beerchug.gif

I'll look up Balmorhea too.

Quote:

Rehabitat, thanks for the recommendation!  I've never heard the Tin Hat Trio before, interesting and very cool song, I'm going to have to check them out, which album would you recommend first?

Speaking of desert island discs, try this:

Oh, and don't be put off by the picture; it's a fan made vid.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I only have "Book of Silk".  It's a beautiful and varied album from start to finish, a personal favourite.  A desert island disc.  I've read the other albums are good, but this is apparently the best.  Did you like the tuba?  I love the tuba:wink: quite a soulful sound.  I played one at school a long time ago so I guess nostalgia plays a part.  The violinist, Carla Kihlstedt, is a member of several other very interesting bands....

Book of Silk is now officially on my wishlist! 
jecklinsmile.gif

The Tuba has a great sound, so smooth and so low...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMyrhilkdo

Also always loved the Baritone as well... uhh, and Zelda too!
redface.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ypjN_1Sn1U

Oh and also, here's some Balmorhea... can't forget about the thread! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5ZcCXRPJE

Erik was so classic!  I can remember entire days, long gone, while listening to his songs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHEpuj96bCg

So much great music, so very little time... what is a headfier to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back