balancing cable, Is this Correct???
Mar 5, 2008 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

classic_rock_69

100+ Head-Fier
I am reterminating my sennie headphone cable to balanced. I am using two 3 pin male xlr connectors. So is it correct that I attach the ground to pin 3 and signal to pin 2 and leave pin 1 blank? I did it for both sides.

I've heard conflicting ideas on this so I want to make sure this is ok, please let me know.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 9
theres 2 signals for balanced. or one signal in 2 phases depending on your perspective.

the general standard is:
in phase: pin2
out of phase: pin3
ground: pin1 (not used on headphone cables)

edited:
it looks like what you described is OK.

the REAL key is that when you measure impedance/resistance from pin 3left to pin3 right you get an open circuit.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 9
i think the "ground" the OP is talking about is one of the ground wires while in SE configuration. one of the ground wires is the - for the left and the other ground wire is the - for the right. just make sure you know which ground is going to which side (left or right), otherwise you'll get no sound.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 9
Well ya, There are two cables on the right side and two cables on the left side, one is a gorund and the other is a signal wire........Correct me if I am wrong. So therefore there has to be one open pin on the right and left side right? and does it matter which pin is open?

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well ya, There are two cables on the right side and two cables on the left side, one is a gorund and the other is a signal wire........Correct me if I am wrong. So therefore there has to be one open pin on the right and left side right? and does it matter which pin is open?

yes, it matters.

pin 1 should be open.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, it matters.

pin 1 should be open.

Cool so I'm good to go then. Just curious, why does that pin in particular need to be open?

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool so I'm good to go then. Just curious, why does that pin in particular need to be open?

because pin 1 usually corresponds to a ground (if you use a ground). 2 and 3 are signal pins.

also, it matters which ground goes to left and which goes to right. you'll need to test it prior to soldering to make sure you've chosen the correct configuration.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Pin 1 is normally ground in a XLR connector. Unless you happen to be using a shielded cable for your headphone you will not have anything to hook up to pin 1.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because pin 1 usually corresponds to a ground (if you use a ground). 2 and 3 are signal pins.

also, it matters which ground goes to left and which goes to right. you'll need to test it prior to soldering to make sure you've chosen the correct configuration.

I will, Thanks Kugino.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back