balanced XLR connector query from Benchmark DAC1
Jul 22, 2004 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all

I am going to buy the Benchmark DAC1 in the coming week or so.
I have been advised to utilise the balanced XLR output connectors available on the benchmark
Now is it possible to connect the XLR connectors directly to the RCA inputs of my headmp.

If so what would I require? Do you guys have any recommended components for this purpose.
If so please provide some links as that would help.

cheers
Kunwar

Jul 22, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 9
Jul 23, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 9
I did not quite understand the post by jsiau about using XLR output for unbalanced cennection. Is it supposed to be better than using RCA output on Benchmark DAC1 itself? As a owner of Benchmark DAC1 using RCA outout with 12-ft interconnect, I am eager to know what difference it will make. Can somebody explain the potetial benefits of XLR-->RCA conversion to me?

Jul 23, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 9
OK now that We have the matter of XLR to RCA sorted, which would be the best plugs to use, what cable is recommended and where should I buy them from?
I am trying to increase the interest of this forum into high class DAC's simply because it would solve the problem of a decent source in 1 hit.
The Benchmark as we have already heard is much better than the Meridien 588 which definitely means that it has to be a class act for a much cheaper price.

Cheers
Kunwar

Jul 23, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 9
I did some searching for an XLR to RCA adapter and found a couple, including this Neutrik one, but, based on what I see about it at the website, it does not follow the wiring directions that jsiau gave...or am I just looking at it wrong?

It would seem that, unless there is some adapter out there I don't know about, you might have to make the adapter or cable yourself to take advantage of the lower impedance on the XLR outputs of the DAC1.

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 9
yes I am following up in the thread for Benchmark Dac1 in parallel and have listed my findings for the component so far for the cable.
If you want to check it out and do tell what you think of the components.
BTW they are all Neutrik so good quality, obviously.
I am still trying to find a source for Belden cable 1800f in small quantities.

If anyone knows where to get it in small quantities, please do provide a link.

Cheers
Kunwar

Jul 30, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 9
I went to a local guitar store and bought a XLR to RCA converter (HOSA brand, feels pretty solid). As I listened through XLR output (30 ohm impedance), I noticed the high frequency extension seemed to have increased relaitve to RCA out (1250 ohms). Higher notes on the piano sound more rounded, and high notes on the violin sound crisper. But the output voltage seemed to high for my intergrated amplifier to handle, and I started hearing distortion at loud notes. I then set the jumper to get 10 dB attenuation, but the sound seemed to turn back into what I heard through RCA out. Looking into the manual, I discovered that -10 dB jumper causes output impedance to reach 1600 ohms. It looks like the difference I am hearing is indeed due to differences in out put impedance. I am using 12 ft RCA stereo cable from GE to connect DAC1 and amp. Now I have settled to using 0dB attenuation for XLR and using front volume control to lower output voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back