Balanced XLR cable recommendation needed please :-)
Sep 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

edopix

New Head-Fier
Greetings All,

I'm looking for a balanced XLR cable to attach a Yamaha CD-S2100 to a Sennheiser HDVD800. I have a Sennheiser HD800 attached to the amp using the Sennheiser balanced cables.

In my search in the UK, including all the known names, I'm a bit stunned to find that the majority of these cables aren't actually balanced, but just phono cables terminated with XLR plugs! It's astonishing as the user buys a cable which doesn't have the third pin utilised and misses the advantage of balanced. Some call it pseudo-balanced, some seem to wrongly call them balanced and some just say XLR cable, but their cutaway illustrations clearly show just two wires; no third.

The only cables I've found so far are from QED and Graham Slee (too expensive for me).

So, I'm looking for recommendations from you fab folks who have properly balanced XLR cables please. I'm looking to spend under £200 on these. I'd like something that apart from being balanced, is pretty neutral and will work well within that system. I listen mainly to classical music and rock too (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits).

Any thoughts?!

Cheers,

Edmond

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 7
For any possible type of cable in the UK try Studiospares.

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-looms+snakes/icat/sholeadsloomssnakes

They have everything. Usually in 3 quality levels. Avoid the cheap molded models and the pointlessly expensive boutique brands. What you want is branded connectors and cable. Studiospares own label 'Professional' range are excellent. Industry standard Neutrik plugs on beautifully supple Sommer cable. Available in 6 different colour options.  

Should come in at less than £20 the pair provided you don't want more than 2 metres.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 7

Thanks Ronald. Have used them before for audio according stuff. Already ordered the QEDs a couple of house ago. Maybe once the equipment settles down I might swap out the QEDs for the Studiospares cables I already have and see if there's any noticeable difference!

Cheers,

Edmond

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Limit your selection to brands that get their bulk cable from the major cable manufactures.  It takes big very expensive machines to make a good balanced bulk cable.  Stick to bulk cable brands like Belden, Canare & Mogami.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 7

Thanks Speedskater,
My plan after realising how many cables aren't balanced was to go with Canare or Mogami and then I found the QED was balanced, so ordered that.
Cheers,
Edmond

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Wow! Is that really £250 for a 1m pair? The QED Reference Evolution range? Do they not offer anything more reasonable?

If it works for you though best of luck to you.................

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 7
  Wow! Is that really £250 for a 1m pair? The QED Reference Evolution range? Do they not offer anything more reasonable?

If it works for you though best of luck to you.................

I paid £125 for the pair. Defintiely wouldn't pay £250!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back