Balanced Vs Unbalanced
Aug 23, 2019 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sloper

New Head-Fier
So I'm just getting started in this hobby. Basically the upcoming release of the latest TOOL album sparked my interest. I've recently purchased a used Sr15 and in the process of finding the right IEM setup. (I think I've settled on the Andromeda) I've been researching the differences in sound quality with unbalanced vs balanced. Of course sound is subjective. One person claims you can hear the difference and one person says differently. With the setup mentioned above do you think I would benefit by purchasing a cable with a 2.5 connection vs a stock 3.5.

All input is appreciated, thanks!

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 4
The benefit is going to be small if any, however if your source has balanced and you wanna use it, sure go ahead, it won't hurt.

Balanced generally has a slightly higher volume, reduces some crosstalk but really quite minor to make a huge fuss out of. Use whatever is convenient and is on your source.

Aug 24, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 4
In general, on portable devices, the balanced out has a good bit more power (current and voltage, depending on amp design). This means louder, but it also often means it drives headphones better / brings out more detail/dynamics.

I only have a few headphones I can currently drive balanced - the HE4XX (moderately efficient Planar open back) and the Meze 99 classics (very efficient dynamic closed back). The former I find a bit thin, a bit quiet and underwhelming driven from my iBasso DX220 (stock Amp1mkII), but balanced gives it the power needed to sparkle and rumble. The Meze already sounds very good single ended, but still gains more ‘oomph’ from the balanced out - this is with subjective volume matching. I haven’t gotten balanced cables for the Andromeda yet - benefit there may be a bit more subtle, since they’re very efficient, but on the other hand they’re very source sensitive so may gain in dynamics.

Basically though, it depends on the amp section. Balanced has very little to no inherent advantage for headphones. But does provide a good bit more power in practically every DAP that has the option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back