Balanced vs unbalanced between DAC and Amp, and between Amp and headphone
Sep 27, 2015 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
This is on this kind of setup:

DAC --> Amp --> Head phone

From what I read is that most people prefer the balanced transmission over unbalanced between Amp and headphone. And balanced does have advantages.

Since many DAC and Amp are integrated into on gear it seems there are not many people are talking about balanced transmission between standalone DAC and Amp. I even read that some people say unbalanced transmission from DAC to Amp is not that critical. So what's the consensus or debate in theory and practical listening?

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 4
The best DAC chips have differential output so it's natural to keep it balanced all the way to the output driver opamps. Balanced headphone outputs are uncommon as most headphones are unbalanced.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 4
The only advantage of balanced output is common-mode noise rejection across long cable lengths.

Any claims beyond that need to be taken in context of circuit topology, parts used, power supplies, etc.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 4
  This is on this kind of setup:
DAC --> Amp --> Head phone
From what I read is that most people prefer the balanced transmission over unbalanced between Amp and headphone. And balanced does have advantages.
Since many DAC and Amp are integrated into on gear it seems there are not many people are talking about balanced transmission between standalone DAC and Amp. I even read that some people say unbalanced transmission from DAC to Amp is not that critical. So what's the consensus or debate in theory and practical listening?

Getting a  Balanced setup costs more then an Un-Balanced setup.
Most people prefer to save money and not spend anymore then they have to for something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back