Balanced TRS jacks on sound cards
Nov 16, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
There are several sound cards out there that use balanced 1/4" ins/outs: Echo Mia, Emu 1212m, ESI Juli@, M-Audio's cards.

My question is, will these cards accept unbalanced 1/4" cables/equipment?

Like, if I want to connect my headphone amp to the ESI Juli@, can I just run unbalanced 1/4" cables from the Juli@'s 1/4" outs to my unbalanced amp (Millett Max)?

I know the Juli@ can be switched to RCA jacks, but I have a bunch of nice cables I made/bought for my home studio that are all 1/4". And none of my equipment is balanced. Can I still use these cards that advertise balanced, TRS ins/outs?

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, this is good news
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mono TRS plug = unbalanced
Stereo TRS plug = balanced

Hope that helps.

I thought mono plugs were just "TS" (tip-sleeve), or am I missing something here..?

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 11
If you connect mono TRS jacks into the balanced out of the Juli@ you could be connecting the ground and negative phase terminals, which the Juli@ might not like. You can easily convert a balanced signal to unbalanced but you should use a stereo->mono adaptor. It's not a problem if the jack is stereo as the unbalanced end point will just ignore the negative phase signal.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought mono plugs were just "TS" (tip-sleeve), or am I missing something here..?

yes, and no
TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more than you ever wanted to know....

beerchug.gif

don't most of the e-mu cards have a direct unbalanced output? idk about the ESI cards, and I know with the M-Audio cards will distinguish balanced/unbalanced, more or less just curious here

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 11
The E-MUs are like swiss knifes. They can accept and output mono, stereo, balanced and unbalanced. How much more does a person really want?

Edit: I am talking about the E-MU 0404 which I've own myself. I don't know about the other devices though.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 11
Well I looked at the Juli@'s manual and under the specs for the 1/4" +4db outputs, it says in parentheses "balanced or unbalanced." So with that card anyway, seems like either you can switch between them with software (or maybe jumpers), or maybe you don't have to and the TS plugs will just work fine without any fiddling.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 11
I had mine backwards sorry. I had an EMU 1212M, and in the instruction manual you use a Mono TRS plug for unbalanced, and a Stereo TRS plug for balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back