Balanced TPA6120 amp - photos & thoughts...
Oct 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #61 of 95
wow, I dont have the time or honestly the amp building experience to take the management of this project on, but OMG I want one of the sets for sure!!~! whos gonna do it so we can get this happening?? I have a laptop battery supply with multiple outputs that I can use to power this and the rest of my rig simultaneously, so this is really great. I have a balanced silver JH13 cable with 4 pin XLR just screaming for this little amp.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #62 of 95
at ~ 130 dB/V the JH13 don't need an amp, certainly not one with V gain

they would be better served by a quality step down transformer, possibly driven by a unity gain buffer

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #63 of 95
lol, mate, really!! is that so??? seriously, you really gotta stop trying to tell people what to do with their gear. perhaps if you had actually owned JH13 you might know that although they sound fine out of my iphone 3G HP out, they sound quite noticeably better out of my Buffalo32 feeding Lisa III and also a couple of tube amps I tried down at the sydney meet. it is pretty much consensus in the JH13 appreciation thread that they sound good without, but quite noticeably better with an amp, i'm looking at a tube buffer or output transformers for my buffalo32 (dual mono) JH13 are not the only balanced headphones I have, and who say I would stick to the stock build anyway. this project just interests me to no end and I thank you for what i'm sure are good intentions, but also, please do NOT make assumptions about what improves with an amp or not based on spec, especially if you are going to go around giving advice based solely on that information.

for instance, there is a mod to the cowonX5L that drops in a PCM1798 on a daughter board that i'm likely going to follow through with, (optional balanced output), a dual BB WM8740 D10 (not so difficult to mod to balanced, and I also have an envelope full of samples from Ti including PCM1794A, some DIR9001 and a few different opamps with differential output that i'm interested in putting together a transportable balanced dac with.....

so a balanced transportable amp project is just what the doctor ordered

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #65 of 95
I'm really glad that there's a hint about the life of Doobooloo's excellent design.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #66 of 95
(drum roll)

A respected member of Head-Fi has volunteered to pick up this project. Hopefully it will pick up a bit more momentum in that member's hands! I will not announce who it is right now, rather once the member has received the boards and parts hopefully the member will make an announcement here and take over.

Thanks all who waited with so much patience!

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #68 of 95
yippee!!!

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #72 of 95
that is fantastic! minixlrs would rock

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #74 of 95
Ordering parts from Maxim is a major pain so I did that for the people that are interested in the remaining boards.
I have even installed them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is an example photo:

DSC00080.jpg

There are 0 partial kits and 0 circuit boards remaining.

The circuit boards include a preinstalled DS1802 and 2.5mm DC jack that has been modified to fit the board.
The price is $16 plus shipping.

The partial kits include a preinstalled DS1802, natural aluminum extrusion, RCA jacks, Mini jack, 2.5mm DC jack that has been modified to fit the board, 1/4" stereo output jacks, pulse switch and a red LED.
The price is $38 plus shipping.

PM me if you are interested in purchasing ......
A full BOM, schematic, Mouser project link and Front Panel Express files will be provided via email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back