Balanced to single-ended adapter
Apr 9, 2020 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am not too much familiar with this side of electronics, so I don't know if this would be possible or not.I was basically thinking about an adapter that would take a balanced connection, like the 4.4 mm one of my WM1A or a 2.5 mm one, and convert it to a single single-ended 3.5 mm one.

This would mean that the L- and R- of the balanced would be tied together into the single negative of a single-ended connection. Would that short the source (the DAP)?

For example, I found one here: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/jack...e-ended-female-jack-35mm-adapter-p-14026.html

I think the result would be something like this:

1586452502811.png

I would use this only with my player, powered by a battery, while on the 3.5 mm female I would use my headphones/IEM (so no actual ground involved).

I once found something similar on Amazon and people were saying that it works fine.

This would basically allow taking advantage of the higher output power of the balanced output.

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 25
I don't think it would short the circuit in the sudden time but may make DAP working much harder. it is like a chronic disease.

Why don't just reterminate things to 4.4 and buy DD adapter to 3.5 like normal people do.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Well, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro cannot be wired to balanced unless I open them up an change the 3 pin XLR to a 4 pin one :)

So you think that connecting the two negatives together might impact the DAP in some way? Could you explain why you think that? I just have no idea, and I want to understand.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 25
There's also this one: https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Apollo-Convert-Adapter-Balanced/dp/B075FMX9T8

Even though the pinout shows that it's a balanced to balanced adapter, it seems that it's actually a balanced to single ended one, based on some reviews.

Someone even mentions that they are using it with a WM1A.

The conclusion is that this may work, but maybe it damages the device over a period of time, I guess. If it shouldn't work at all, then how does it work for those guys?

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 25
There is a 3.5mm balanced connection , the Sony uses it as well on the 3.5mm ports.

So, some people who already have 3.5mm balanced, and want to use 4.4mm true balanced on Sony, they can use that above adapter

Do not use or make anything that goes from 4.4mm into single ended 3.5mm. You will damage your player

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 25
Screenshot_20200410-050746_Chrome.jpg

This is what I was talking about, and that's why I was mentioning that maybe it works, but it potentially damages your player over a period of time.

The adapter seems to actually have the L-and R- connected together, based on the reviews.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 25
And that was what I am trying to tell you. There are 3.5mm balanced as I mentioned above.

4.4 into single end 3.5 will damage the player. It is a fact

you can choose to listen to him, and that is fine by me. I am only stating the fact that Balanced into Balanced will not short out the player but Balanced into single ended will

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 25
And that was what I am trying to tell you. There are 3.5mm balanced as I mentioned above.

you can choose to listen to him, and that is fine by me. I am only stating the fact that Balanced into Balanced will not short out the player but Balanced into single ended will

Oh no, I know that 3.5 mm balanced exists.

Also, I understand that 4.4 to single ended 3.5 will damage the player.

I was just wondering how some people still used this kind of adapter successfully - at least with no immediate damage.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 25
If you want to know specifically reason why, you need first and foremost, the engineered schematic lay out of the player. Transistors either works or it doesn’t, it could be weakened, but it would still function....doesn’t mean it is doing it job at the best that it can. It could be noisy, could be heated up, burned up.....eventually give out or pop.

so that is that. More specific than that ? I can’t tell you as I don’t have The schematic

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 25

I have a plusound adaptor. 4.4mm into 3.5mm, it works no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back